Saturday 7 December 2019

12 Questions with Olympic Weightlifter and CrossFit Athlete Erika Kaufman


1) Who is Erika Kaufman? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am from Miami Florida, I am a small animal and exotic veterinarian. My hobbies include being a player for The Miami Freaks in the Florida GRID league, Olympic weight lifting, Crossfit, outdoors enthusiast and Mother of Dragons (I have 4 bearded dragons), as well as uromasyx and a Tegu.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I grew up being trained in classical ballet and showing American Saddlebreds(horse breed). I first started fitness activities in 2012 with a HITT online program. I first touched a barbell in 2016 and started dabbling in crossfit in 2017.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The hardest part was dealing with my body and how it felt during training every time I made a big change. I went to vet school in St. Kitts and when I moved back to the States my schedule completely changed and I had to find my new "groove" with new training time and atmosphere. Same thing happened when I graduated and started working full time. I always made the time to work out , even if it wasn't the best work out, it was good to move.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I follow the competitive athlete program "Freakin ELITE" by Freakin Crossfit in South Florida. It consists of daily strength, skill, and conditioning protocols and I am also given a supplemental gymnastics strength protocol by Freakin ELITE to help with my current weakness. For nutrition, I follow the guidelines provided by Freakin Nutrition, which is a program that tailors nutrition to an individual's specific needs, including goals such as upcoming competitions.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future). 

There is a delicate balance between the desire of wanting to improve and also being happy with where you are in your fitness journey. Most "hard core" competitors are Type A personalities by nature, which is great for self motivation and consistency; However, it is also important to be "okay" with not being a able to lift a certain weight, or not have a certain skill set that particular day, and not become angry every single time you attempt that skill or weight. This is a JOURNEY for everyone; Even the best athletes in the world have something they want to improve. It's important to chill sometimes and just have fun. All great things take time to achieve.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Champange and beef ribs.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Xwerks pre-workout.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

This is a boring answer, but I honestly wouldn't change anything. It has been a fun ride!

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to too many to list, but to name a few: Serena Williams for being an advocate for equiality in sports, speaking out against sexism in sports, and for being a complete badass athlete. Brooke Ence for her outspoken, "This is me" personality when it comes to her body type; I feel she is helping people see that muscular is also beautiful and women should feel proud of their muscles. Lastly, NOT in the fitness industry, is Dita Von Teese, who has challanged the public's view of "beauty" for years! She has always been an advocate for beauty comes in many shapes and sizes and I believe she helps promote self love and confidence.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Just SHOW UP! Once you find a program you enjoy and can see yourself doing, keep showing up. It takes time to build the discipline, skills, etc. But if you can just show up and put in the work, you are already 80% there. And surround yourself with like-minded friends. They will help keep you on track and motivate you to be better.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I feel I am finally at a fitness level where I can push my body enough to attempt to qualify for the Crossfit Games and other higher level competitions. It absolutely will not be this year; I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I feel I can now attempt the intense training schedule to prepare for qualifying.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram: Erika.Barbarella

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................