Wednesday 19 February 2020

12 Questions With BJJ Athlete Martina Linnea

1) Who is Martina Linnea? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am from Stockholm, Sweden, where I was also born and raised. When Im not training I love to spend time with my friends and family.  I also like to travel and explore new cultures. Besides training I work with PR. 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I have been training my whole life, I think I started training my first sport when I was 4-5 years old. I started Brazilian jiu-jitsu 2011/12 because I was studying with a girl who was together with a guy who had a gym. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

It has definitely been all my injuries. During my career I have been out from training several times due to injuries. Ive torn both my ACLs, which takes very long to recover from. In total I have done five knee surgeries. Besides that a very challenging side of this sport is the financial part. Working while competing at the highest level is not optimal but necessary if I want to keep on traveling and compete. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

Since I fight a lot I usually try to train as much as I can throughout the whole year. Usually that consist of two bjj classes a day, and maybe one strength and conditioning a few times a week. Before the biggest and most important tournaments I try to take some more rest.  The diet varies a lot depending on if I need to cut weight or not. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future)

I have learned a lot about how my body works and how much I can push it. As a high level athlete I think its normal to push yourself too hard. But Ive learned my lessons and now Im better at listening to my body and take rest when I need to. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?  

I don’t do cheat meals. But something I really like but rarely eat is pizza. 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

None, I don’t use supplements that much, only if Im cutting a lot of weight I use some bcaa and whey protein. 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would definitely have started training bjj as a child. I also would have kept on training gymnastics (which I only did for a year when I was five years old). 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?  

Unanswered

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Starting out with bjj? Patience. Its a really hard sport and it takes a long time to learn. Patience and consistence is. the key. 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I was promoted to black belt one month ago so this season my goal is to compete as much as I can and get ranking points so that I can participate in the world championships in June. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram: @martinalinnea 

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................