Sunday 15 April 2018

12 Questions With CrossFit Athlete/Coach Rachel Goldenberg


1) Who is Rachel Goldenberg? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am originally from Doylestown, PA but went to college at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio. I competed in division 1 gymnastics at Kent. I now live right outside of Ocean City NJ and own Crossfit Parallax in Clermont. Crossfit Parallax opened in 2013 and has since had a ton of success with regional, games and masters athletes. I enjoy a lot of outdoor activities such as snowboarding, wakeboarding, surfing, spending time at the beach and on the boat!

2) How many years have you been training?

I began training crossfit in 2013 when I opened Crossfit Parallax.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

While competing in college gymnastics I tore my ACL and was out for a full year. That was one of my most difficult and upsetting injuries. The other would be tearing my quad just over a year ago while back squatting. I was lucky enough to not need surgery, but it was a ton of time off which was followed by a ton of rehab before I was able to crossfit again. It took me close to a full year to be back to myself again! The latest set back I've had was just a few weeks ago while snowboarding, someone ran into me and knocked me back, where I ended up with a concussion. Normally, this wouldn't be such a big deal however, it was just 4 days before the Crossfit Open started. So unfortunately I had to complete the whole open with a concussion, not training at all in between the 2 days I did the open WODs each week. This delayed my recovery process so now I am still recovering from it, 7 weeks out!

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I usually train by myself after my 5:30am class, then finish my training after my 9:30am class. My diet has recently changed since my injury last year where I am mostly focusing on hitting macros and eating enough carbs on a daily basis. Being a gymnast in the past I was always told that I couldn't eat too much and body image was everything. It's been different for me to re-arrange my thought process to eating tons of carbs! But I'm getting there.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I sort of just touched on that in the previous question but I have learned over the past few years that everyone is different. Peoples bodies respond to food in different ways but I always try to listen to my body. Some days the training needs to be lighter and that's okay. I've always pushed myself to remember that there is always someone out there working harder than me. But some days it's okay to go easy on yourself.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I have a weakness for baked goods! Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite. I also love ice cream.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

hmmm, none. Casein helps me recover on the high volume days and I just take fish oil religiously.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

Nothing! Everything happens for a reason.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I've always admired Jason Khalipa and his ability to manage his family, competition (before retiring) and running his business so well. I also grew up a Yankees fan so Derek Jeter was a role model to me.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Be consistent. You are what you repeatedly do. If you have a goal, committ to it. Be relentless. Once this behavior becomes part of your daily routine, it's no longer a question if you're going to do it or not. It's built in. Your future self will thank you!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

Right now I am just focused on this year. Having qualified for my 4th regionals, I've learned that I need to just enjoy the process more. I want to have fun competing this year. No matter what.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

I'm on instagram under @rach_goldenberg and @crossfitparallax




LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................