Saturday 14 April 2018

12 Questions With CrossFit Athlete/Coach Sarah Fryer


1) Who is Sarah Fryer? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am a mom of 3 boys and wife to @chrismichealfryer. From Utah but live in Seattle. I'm a CrossFit L2 Coach. My love is coaching oly lifting and mostly doing 1-on-1 training with my athletes. I have an Exercise Science degree, and am obsessed with human movement. I am currently in process of becoming an OPEX coach. I also love snowboarding, rock climbing, longboarding, hiking--anything outside.

2) How many years have you been training?

5 years.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The most recent setback is getting shoulder surgery from a labrum tear, just 8 weeks ago. It is hard to stop progressing as an athlete, and not be able to demonstrate movements as a coach! But with a long-term perspective, I remember that it will all come back in time, and will be better than ever. I have been rejected from certain coaching positions a couple of times and felt really down. My husband told me to be patient and he was right-- it all worked out and I ended up doing everything I wanted to do.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I train 4-5 days per week, mostly CrossFit with extra weightlifting mixed in!

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

Attending the Outlaw Barbell camp with Jared Fleming completely changed the way I teach weightlifting. The methods taught are very effective and have been working well with my athletes.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Good quality chocolate.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I've recently been adding Collagen to my protein shake and feel like it makes a big difference, especially with my injury recovery.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would surround myself with people who I can constantly learn from and be challenged by.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

My swim coach, Terry Laughlin, who came up with his own swimming technique (Total Immersion) despite it being different from what everyone else was doing. He was always himself, no matter what. Greg Everett, who wrote the book on Olympic Weightlifitng. I love how down to earth Brooke Ence is, when she could easily have a big ego. Tim Ferriss- a guru of many fields, but knows a lot about fitness and health. I've learned so much from him.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Find something you love to do for fitness. Preferably with other people. You will stick to it if you like to do it. With eating healthy, make one change at a time. Start with breakfast--eat eggs instead of cereal. Then add upon that and maintain a long-term healthy diet.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

Finish the OPEX CCP course. Coach more athletes remotely. Build a large home gym in which I can train my athletes.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@forgedbyfryer


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................