Saturday 5 May 2018

12 Questions With Championship Powerlifter & Strength Coach Andy Bolton


For those that aren’t familiar with Andy Bolton, he is a true Legend! A champion powerlifter.

Andy has won seven world titles and was the first man in the world to deadlift a massive 455kg (1003lbs) in a powerlifting competition”. What you may not know is not that long ago Andy was diagnosed with both Kidney Failure and cancer. That news would have meant the end of normal life for most people. But not for Andy; it was just another obstacle to overcome, but like all the obstacles he’s faced in his life, it’s not slowed him down for long.

Check out the full 12 Questions interview below with the man, The Legend Andy Bolton.

1) Who is Andy Bolton? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I was born in Dewsbury,West Yorkshire. At the moment a lot of my time is taken up with dialysis (Three times a week) but in my spare time I do love watching movies.

2) How many years have you been training?

30 years and counting

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The most challenging I am still dealing with, kidney failure and kidney cancer. You overcome by adjusting and adapting and keeping focused and not letting things get you down.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Workouts right now are a four day split and the volume depends on how I feel on the day.

Monday: High rep squats 8 to 15 Deadlifts 3s 5s (I never max here, work on speed) Romanian Deadlifts sets 8 to 10s Leg press (always been a big favourite). 

Wednesday: Bench press raw 3s 5s Slingshot work 3s 5s Dbell press chest Triceps.

Thursday Squats 3s 5s (lot of work based around speed. Back assistance staying away from lower back). 

Saturday (Bodybuilding): Shoulders Triceps Biceps 

My diet is very strict with my kidneys the way they are.

Proteins: Egg whites,chicken and small amount beef with beef isolate as a extra.

Carb sources: Oats,pasta,rice fruits and veg Fats butter olive oil.

Things I am not allowed are Dairy,potatoes,nuts seeds,limited protein (Processed foods are also bad)

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

Training: There are many ways to get to the same goal, so don't be scared to try other ways.

Diet: I am much more aware with kidneys how they are.

Lifestyle; I used to party after shows prob too hard as now I don't drink anymore and I don't take things for granted.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Cheat/Treat meals  are not really a option right now but if I do it would be. Chock (very rare Fish) and chips or maybe Indian food, it all depends (but it's never a full meal).

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Curcumin 400mg

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

The only thing I would do is be more aware of diet & nutrition as my training system seemed to work well for me.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

There are a few I have become friends with and really admire what they put out.

Ross Edgley - This guy is on another level with nutrition and his fitness, and he had Helped me a lot.

Dave Carter - I like to see other lifters breaking through and breaking records as it shows me the sport is evolving. Dave is one of my training partners who is 55 and still as driven as ever!!

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Don't rush and learn there trade then set goals and chase them with 100% commitment.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

My goals are to get healthy and to get a new kidney (hopefully start of 2019). To enjoy time with my family.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Facebook and instagram as Andy Bolton

Please support the Andy Bolton Deadlift Challenge in aid of Kidney research. You can find the details on Andy’s Facebook and Instagram.




LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................