Friday 17 January 2020

12 Questions with CrossFit Coach & Athlete Danielle Jenny

1) Who is Danielle Jenny? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I grew up riding horses in Vermont and got introduced to Crossfit in 2010. My husband and I own a gym in Vermont called Champlain Valley Crossfit.  When I'm not there coaching, I'm either in the outdoors with my dogs, riding horses or training. 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I got introduced to Crossfit from my dentist and started training in 2010. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The hardest part of my journey has been trying to stay healthy.  My body took a little bit of a beating riding horses and falling off or getting thrown off into a jump.  The ground isn't very forgiving :) I've overcome it (continue to overcome it) by doing the best I can with the situation that is handed to me. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

My workouts vary, I try my best to be as well rounded as I can in gymnastics, lifting and cardio.  For my daily nutrition/diet I do what's called intermittent fasting.  I have found this to be helpful when it comes to keeping inflammation down, keeping my gut happy, clears my mind and gives me energy.  

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

I have learned a lot, but the biggest thing I've learned is sleep and nutrition are very important when it comes to training.  Most athletes don't sleep enough nor put enough quality foods into their body.  When you do both of these it can have great affects on the body which will aid in training. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

Key Lime Pie 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I couldn't live without veggies and fruits.  If you eat a wide variety of veggies and fruits, you can get a ton of minerals/vitamins from both of those. 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

It's funny you ask this question, I'm kind of doing this right now.  I'm relearning how to move with better quality and form.  I think it's really important that we move with quality before adding load or intensity.  Which I did not do when I first started training. 

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

Erin Cafaro.  She has competed in the olympics a few times for rowing and been very successful.  I've be blessed to have the opportunity to work with her a handful of time and get to know her.  Her mindset is powerful and spot on. 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Always have a beginners mind and be kind to yourself. 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

To help educate people on cannabis and how it can help with every day life/ailments.  I think that there are a lot of people out there who don't really know what cannabis is and how it can really help you.  I started using in to help with my endometriosis, menstrual cramps and ovarian cysts.  The pain would get so bad that I really could do much, nothing would touch it. My naturopath recommended I get a medical marijuana card and see if it could help the pain.  It has made the world of a difference for taking away the pain along with helping me in other areas of my life as well. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@danihoranjenny (instagram)

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................