Saturday 30 November 2019

12 Questions with Bodybuilder Josh Maley


1) Who is Josh Maley? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am a 6 foot 6 bodybuilder from the Midlands in the UK. I have always loved sport and found a passion for bodybuilding when I was 22 and from there have developed a career as a coach and online trainer. Outside of training myself and my clients I don’t have much time but I am lucky to thoroughly love what I do. When I do have free time I love to go for walks and see the countryside or go out for a good meal!

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I was a national level swimmer from the age of 10 to19 years old and went to Commonwealth and Olympic trials. At 19 I found my love for the gym and from there I naturally transitioned in to bodybuilding competing in my first competition at the age of 22. I am now 31 and coming up to a decade competing in bodybuilding.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

There are always ups and downs in any pursuit for excellence. I have been quite lucky to have not experienced too many set backs however. This is partly due to my level of consistency and how I approach and program diet and training, trying to eliminate any potential issues before they arise. However, I have had a couple of notable challenges.

Injuring my shoulder during my preparation for my competitions in 2018 severely affected how I could train. My approach to all set backs however is to see them as a challenge to overcome, so I adapted my training to allow my progress to continue while letting my shoulder recover.

I experienced a feeling of rejection in 2015, 2 weeks after winning the British title I did not even place at the Worlds championships. This was hard to stomach however rather than dwell on it and let it get me down I used it as fuel and motivation to get better and to push harder than ever. I did not want to feel that way again and worked hard to ensure it didn’t happen.

The most consistently challenging part of bodybuilding for me is the offseason. Your shape isn’t the best due to higher levels of body fat, you feel more tired as you are heavier, you eat for purpose and it isn’t easy getting all the food in. This is when you must focus on why you are doing it and what you want to achieve when you next stop on stage. Improve or stay the same. The productivity of your offseason is what will determine that.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

This is too detailed to go fully in to here. My nutrition stays much the same through the year. Food sources stay the same just the amount of food will vary depending if I am in an offseason or competition prep phase. I like to keep things clean for the most part however offseason I will enjoy meals out with friends and family.

Training again stays much the same. I train 4 to 5 times a week and aim to train every body part once a week and hit body parts I want to improve twice a week.

My training style is a combination of progressive overload and volume. I have found what feels best and works best for me and most of all I make sure I ENJOY my training! Low intensity cardio is kept in through the year for general health and increases during prep as a way of achieving more fat loss.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

I am always learning new things from people I respect and follow. I will trial these things and if they feel good or work well then I will incorporate them, if not I won’t. We are all different and what works for one won’t necessarily work for someone else. This past year I have put even more emphasis on overall health to ensure I can keep following my bodybuilding dream for as long as possible. Cardio, health supplements, and eating more vegetables have all been part of this. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I very rarely crave any particular food. What I enjoy most is a meal out and being able to share and enjoy that with friends in a social setting. It is the experience more than the food.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

This is a tough one as I am a big believer in the importance of good supplementation alongside good diet and training. As a bodybuilder from a health point of view I’d have to say Strom Sports Nutrtions SupportMax. This is a must for bodybuilders looking to keep their health in check. As a bonus I’d also say SupportMax Neuro and SupportMax Joint are both fantastic products I really feel the benefit from!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I wouldn’t change a thing. My journey has made me in to the person and athlete I am today. Making and learning from mistakes has educated me more than anything else. Mistakes and failures are part of life and should not be feared but embraced.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

There are too many to list and I am always finding new people. I look up to anyone who delivers good information but also backs it up with hard work and dedication to bodybuilding.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Bodybuilding is an extreme sport. It encompasses all areas of your life. If you are serious about it then commit to it 100%. The results will be worth it. Also, bodybuilding is a very individual pursuit. Do not focus on what others are doing but put all your efforts and positive focus in to your own actions.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I always keep my goals very close to my chest. I follow and actions speak louder than words approach. As ever though, my goals will always be to be the best bodybuilder I can be and improve there and in all areas of my life.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

You can find me on Instagram: @josh_maley Youtube: Josh ‘The Viking’ Maley https://www.youtube.com



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................