Wednesday 29 January 2020

12 Questions With MMA Fighter Lexi Rook

1) Who is Lexi Rook? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc) 

I’m 25 & I fight MMA out of Aspire, Liverpool, United Kingdom. Besides training/fighting my hobbies include long boarding, dancing & eating! I’m originally from Hastings but currently live in Manchester.

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc)

I started training 3years ago. I began training Muay Thai & K1 for a year before progressing onto Jiujitsu & mma. I started training because I wanted/needed to channel my energy into something constructive and positive. I lived in a small minded town with not much opportunity. I was on a dark path and feel incredibly grateful to have found mma!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Everyday is a challenge, especially being an amateur having to self fund it all, work full time to support myself but I’d say the hardest part of the journey so far has been moving so far away from my family. The move up north was and is for the better for my career but that means I’m a good 6/7 hour drive away from my family. I miss them a lot.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I work with Yiannis Fleming (Mr Sport) for all my nutrition,weight cuts & refuels. It’s all calculated for me I just have to follow it, stay disciplined & maintain the will power! My workout regime varies slightly each week depending on what shifts I work. I train 2-3 times a day 6 days a week with one full rest day usually on the weekend. I train mma, Jiujitsu, boxing, muaythai, wrestling and strength & conditioning.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

I have realised what works for me and what doesn’t. It’s so important to plan each week specifically for what you want to achieve long term and short term. Every Sunday I’ll sit down and plan for the week ahead. Organisation and preparation really is key. I’ve also learnt what is necessary to sacrifice in order to get where I want to be. Rest and recovery is also as important.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

My favourite treat is a lotus BISCOFF Krispy Kreme donut. Cheat meal for me is a five guys burger and peanut butter milkshake.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

One supplement I couldn’t live without would be my salted caramel whey protein. It makes my oats taste so much better especially when cutting weight!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I’m not sure I’d do much differently. I believe the path I’ve been taken down has all been for the right reasons and it’s all a learning curve. Without the little hiccups along the way, I wouldn’t find out what truly works for me and what doesn’t. I think i would have invested in a nutritionist sooner though. People underestimate how important nutritional knowledge is!

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Phoebe Hagan, a bikini competitor in the fitness industry. Her drive, ambition, work rate and attitude is incredible. Even though it’s not my discipline I still admire what she does!

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

To aim high and never give up. Consistency and positive mental attitude will aid the journey. Oh and don’t care what other people think

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I have lots of big goals and micro goals but my main goal on the horizon is this next fight in March. To showcase my progression.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

My main socials I use are Instagram @lexi_rookmma and Twitter is @RookLexi. I have Facebook but I don’t often use it.

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................