Wednesday 1 December 2021

12 Questions with Crossfit Athlete Carolyne Prevost

1) Who is Carolyne Prevost? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc) 

I am from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada but currently live in Toronto, ON. I am a full-time high school math, science and physical education teacher as well as I play hockey in the PWHPA (Professional Women's Hockey Player Association) for the Toronto Sonnet and compete in CrossFit at the CF Games level.  

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc) 

I have been training my entire life for a variety of sports including taekwondo, soccer, hockey and now CrossFit. I started CrossFit in 2013 after graduating from the University of Wisconsin- Madison. I was looking for a competitive outlet following my div 1 hockey career and not making the National Team. I started competing basically right away. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

The most challenging movement right now for me are DU's. It's been a frustrating movement for me for a few years now. When I first started, I would say the hardest thing to learn was snatching and ring muscle ups. Those were not movements I had much experience with in my sports. I wouldn't say I have had to overcome anything big in my CrossFit journey so far. I think there's always things to learn and improve, but it also takes time and a lot of practice.  Sure, things are hard, but it's not supposed to be easy so I don't consider it to be big hurdles. It's mostly just part of the process. As far as injuries, I have been very good at listening to my body over the years and not overdoing it on things in order to stay as healthy as I can be. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).  

Right now I try to separate my training as much as possible in 2 sessions.  One tends to be at school in the school gym and another one right after work. I normally start with monostructural work given to me by Rob Carson. I also follow Cal Strength (the barbell wod) for my Olympic lifting program which is a 5 day. Lastly, I do more ''CrossFit'' metcons in the afternoon after work as well as accessory. My rest day is Monday and my active recovery day which will be only monostructural work is Thursday. However, if I feel I need a second full rest day, I may also take Thursday completely off. As far as diet is concerned, I eat roughly 2500cals a day. That can vary a bit depending if I have a heavier day of training. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future) 

I am mostly working on competition nutrition and hydration at the moment. It's something I haven't quite mastered yet. Just trying to understand what works to optimize my performance in terms of recovery food and hydration. Sometimes, it's hard to know what/when to eat in a competition when we don't know the workout ahead or even the schedule sometimes. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?   

I would say I love chipotle or a good pizza.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without? 

I can easily live without any supplements. I have never been really someone who takes a lot of supplements in general or depend on any. However, if I had to pick one thing, it would maybe be BCAAs + electrolytes. It makes me drink more water than I would sometimes without. I'll eat food over supplements any day though ðŸ™‚.  

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why? 

Not much. I think it is so important to my fitness journey that I played so many sports growing up and didn't specialize. I wouldn't change really how I did things. I would have maybe added CrossFit earlier on as a supplement to my training for different sports, but not specialize in it at a young age. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?   

I wouldn't say anyone in particular. I like people who are positive role models and hard workers. I like seeing people balance different things too (work, different sports, family etc) because its more relatable. 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Listen to your body! Take extra rest days if needed. More is not always better. Work on your foundation first (mechanics--> consistency --> intensity). 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?
 
My next competition is Wodapolooza team of 3, so I'm just preparing for that right now and try to be as fit as I can be for it. In the following year, I hope to qualify again for the CF Games- indivdually. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

Twitter and Instagram: cprevost27



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................