Saturday 25 January 2020

12 Questions With Professional MMA Fighter Jamie Driver

1) Who is Jamie Driver? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I was born and raised in Pennington, NJ. I grew up in a pretty competitive and sport oriented family. Both my parents raced go karts, and my dad eventually raced in NASCAR and my brother was an ice hockey player and also raced. So sports were always a big part of my life. I tried a lot of sports but ended up playing field hockey and lacrosse. It wasn’t until I was 19 when I walked into my first mma gym. 

2) How many years have you been training (Including how you got started, etc)

I’ve trained for about 9 years off and on and 8 years of fighting. I first started training at the age of 19. The guy I was dating brought me to an mma gym called Daddis in Philly and it was a wrap from there. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

The hardest part of this journey for me has been maintaining conviction in my vision. Since I started fighting I knew this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. But between Ups and downs in my personal life, switching gyms a few times, me not training like I should and partying too much, my career took a hit. And it wasn’t until a couple of years ago I smacked myself and was like wake the f up and asked myself if I wanted this life or not. After I made the decision to give everything to this sport and lifestyle I haven’t looked back. I made a lot of changes in my personal life, which wasn’t easy but it needed to happen. And because of the choices I made I’m Now training with the best coaches and athletes in the world.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate). 

Diet wise I’m pretty simple. I eat the same stuff everyday. Eggs, potatoes, pineapple, nanners, chicken, ground turkey, rice, and always with lots of cheese haha don’t get me wrong my sweet tooth is off the hook, so I always have to have some chocolate or some ice cream.  I also train 5 days a week 2-3 times a day. Every day is different but I’m always working on my craft. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

What a loaded question. Haha I’ve learned so many new things this past years it’s insane and I don’t know where to start. But I got hooked up with a nutritionist, Eric Peña, through Lockhart and Leith and he taught me so much about the best types of foods to eat and when, and because of him I’m walking a lot lighter than I used to.  Since I moved to Florida, my knowledge in the game has increased tremendously thanks to King Mo, Din Thomas and all the amazing coaches at ATT. They've taught me so much, one being about how your personal life and fight career go hand in hand. So I always make sure to keep good, solid people around me and I also am more aware of what I’m doing when I’m not at training. Instead of going out, I’m choosing rest, things like that. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

My go to is always chicken wings and truffle fries, Especially after a fight.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Pink Himalayan salt. I sweat a lot, and our bodies don’t naturally produce salt so I add that to my water and food everyday to keep me hydrated and also get essential minerals.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

If I could restart, I would have cut all the BS and been more focused and consistent. I definitely believe my record would be better than it is now, but I had to live and learn the hard way. I also would’ve eaten a lot healthier too. Taco Bell and wawa were two of the many late night runs I used to make a lot. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why? 

I look up to every coach and fighter at ATT. A lot of these people have come from nothing, worked their asses off and got to the top of the game. Everyone in the gym is so motivating and inspiring, and their work ethics are out of this world, how can I not look up to them. 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Have fun, be patient and enjoy the process. 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

Right now my goals are all about getting better physically and mentally and becoming a more well rounded fighter. I plan on having multiple fights this year, and hope to sign with a big promotion. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

They can find me on Instagram, which my name is @oj_driver and they can just search Jamie Driver on Facebook. 

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................