Wednesday 21 February 2018

12 Questions with CrossFit Athlete Katrina Leone


1) Who is Katrina Leone? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am just a hard worker, no one special. I've been involved with CrossFit for quite a while now. I've competed at regionals 5 times and I own a sportswear company, Vull Sport, that caters to this community. I went to FIDM and have always worked in the fashion industry. I like to merge my girly-girl with my tom-boy. I like to lift heavy things and am always trying to better myself in whatever capacity I can.

2) How many years have you been training?

I've been doing CrossFit for 8 years and have been on my 'fitness journey' for a couple years longer than that. I went to art school and partied quite a bit when I was younger. So although I was athletic in high school, I definitely fell off once I was an young adult in the world.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I would say that each year and frankly each week is a challenge. I've gone through a myriad of work, financial and personal setbacks over the years, as we all do. I own my own business, have been with my partner for 6 years and have also had a parent pass away all while I was CrossFitting. And of course have been through quite a few injuries. Each thing feels like it's the biggest and hardest yet. But taking it one day at a time helps a lot. Whether it's injuries or personal stuff, there's many days I haven't 'wanted' to go into the gym or put in the time. But somehow you just do. You just accumulate time. You can't give 100% all the time. But you can give whatever you're capable of each day. No one is passionate 100% of the time. But your character can be persistent.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

This really depends on the time of the year for me and what my training and work volume is like. Currently I'm enjoying training in the evenings and eating a keto diet. I'm just in maintenance mode while recovering from a back injury.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

The more I learn, the more I truly believe those things are very person-specific and time-specific. Do what makes YOU feel good. When you're on a good one, ride it as far as you can. When you're struggling, let yourself indulge. It's not necessarily all about balance in each day. Sometimes it's balance over a season or a few seasons. You need to be extreme sometimes in regards to diet or training at some points. That IS a part of it. So learning how to ride your own wave is important. We all have such drastically different work schedules, life obligations, resources... trying different things and finding what actually works for you goes so far.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Boba tea! Or cake :)

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I don't do any supplements. When I'm training a lot, I will keep fish oil and protein powder around. But I'm not even a regular protein shake drinker. I just prefer food. Lots of different colors of food!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

Lol. The only way to it is through it. The only way to find what works for you and what matters to you is to TRY (and fail) everything. I wouldn't change a thing. I would just try to enjoy it all a bit more and not be so hard on myself.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

There are a lot of athletes that I follow, root for and are lucky enough to call my friends. That is one of the best things about being involved in the CrossFit community - the women are all phenomenal. I know so many people who juggle kids, school, full time jobs, small businesses of their own... and compete or just lead a very driven lifestyle. I love that. I think we all kind of just pull each other along. Seeing one another do it gives you the feeling like you might have a little more to give too. And the entire journey to be as fit and healthy as you can be is just so constantly humbling. It's a situation where you can try so hard, give all of yourself completely, and sometimes it's just not enough.

I think everyone who competes in this sport has felt that. So you generally do not get a lot of crazy egos in this community. I love hard working people who are an open book; people that try to help you along as they get by themselves. I've found more of those people through CrossFit than I ever have through school or jobs. It's just a very unique group and I am appreciate to be a part of it.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Just follow your heart. If it's something that you deeply connect with, go after it HARD. I truly believe that hard work can trump genetics. Passion can take you further than muscle a lot of the time. I'd love to say to be kind to yourself and take a moment to appreciate the big milestones. But I know that true athletes can rarely reward themselves in the moment. They're just too hungry for more. It's a beautiful thing and a sad thing all rolled into one.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I've been struggling with a back injury so I'm looking forward to getting back to feeling like my old self again. I'm trying to give myself a little down time this year with a lower stress load. And I would say that's a pretty big goal for me because I'm so bad at that. Of course I'd love to compete at this new Super-Super Regionals sometime in the future as well.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

I post my training log on Instagram to @JustKatLeone I also own a sportswear company @VullSport

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................