Sunday 4 March 2018

12 Questions with Figure Competitor / Powerlifter Michelle Maier


1) Who is Michelle Maier? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I was born in Abilene, Tx. My mother is English and my father is American. My father was in the Air Force so we moved frequently. I have lived in England and all over the United States. I am currently a Nursing student and working as a medical assistant while I am going through school. I love baking and cross stitching! I even made my own clothes when I was younger.

2) How many years have you been training?

I was an ice speedskater from the age of 15-17 until a knee injury took me out of it. I never got back into it. I started going to the gym in 2013 and really had no idea what I was doing. Around 2015 is when I got more serious about training and really understood more of what I was doing in terms of training and hypertrophy. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

My knee injury during a mock relay race in ice speedskating was a big set back for me. I had a dream of going to the olympics and gave up on that. I thought I wouldn't be able to do anything athletic again. I took a long time off of anything and then discovered bodybuilding which I fell in love with. About two years into bodybuilding I suffered nerve damage to my leg and was told it would take up to three years for me to regain movement and feeling in my leg. Well, Im a little hard headed and I was not going to accept that answer from the doctors. I youtubed my injury and rehabilitated myself. I regained movement and feeling in my leg in 3 months! That injury did teach me to listen to my body and rest when I felt I needed to.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Right now I am training for strengh. I train 4 days a week. One squat day, deadlift day, and two bench days. All routines are started with the main lift, followed by accessories. For example, on a squat day I will train squat first and then branch off to hamstring accessories. Usually following the 3-4 set, 12-15 rep range.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I have learned that nutrition plays a key role in strength training. You have to eat to GROW! In the past I have had a hard time eating because I just haven't felt hungry. Well, my strength trainig suffered. I eat about 4-5 times a day and make sure I keep my protein intake relatively high, along with my carb intake, and moderate fat intake. I've also met a lot of great people since I started bodybuilding and powerlifting. The sport is growing but it is still a tight knit community full of people willing to help you and encourage you.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I love tacos ! I even find a way of making them more healthy so I can eat them all the time! It's my go to meal!

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I would have to say Vitamin C. It keeps me healthy during flu season!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would take longer to do my first show so I could take time to grow a little more physicially.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to Latorya Watts. She is, not only an amazing athlete, but an amazing person as well! She is so sweet and down to earth!

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Don't give up. Results are not going to happen over night. Just stay stubborn and consistent. Take it day by day. 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I've been working more toward powerlifting so my goal there is to get that international elite total in my weight class! I've been working hard!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram: @michellejmaier


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................