Sunday 21 January 2018

12 Questions with Emily Godley (CrossFit Coach & International Weightlifter)


1) Who is Emily Godley? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m from London, UK but currently living in Melbourne, Australia. I’m a CrossFit coach, and also an international Weightlifter. I like training, going to the beach and eating brunch!

2) How many years have you been training?

This year I’ll have been Weightlifting for 10 years!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I’ve had a few challenges during my career so far - they include bombing out at a major international competition, not being selected for competitions due to politics as well as having some big injuries. All of these setbacks are things that have kept me going and kept me motivated. I’ve still got so much more to offer in my Weightlifting career and so overcoming these blips is just part of the journey I’m on!

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I’m training around 7 times a week at the moment and I’m currently trying to increase my body weight so that means eating every 2-3 hours.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

That you can’t beat basics. I’ve got a laberal tear in my hip, so for several months I had to take all my exercises right back to basic movements to build co-ordination and control of certain muscle groups. Now I’m back on my normal lifting programme I’m noticing a big difference with my overall condition and movement.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Fish and chips, followed by a massive chocolate bar.

7) one supplement that you could not live without? 

Creatine - I find it really helps my recovery between sessions and it’s currently helping me with my body weight increase as it means I hold a bit more water.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

I wouldn’t. My physique is a result of my hard training, I’ve never trained for aesthetics or appearance. I’ve always just trained as hard as I can, and so I have quite a lot of muscle to show for it!

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I mainly look up to other athletes that compete in sport, and there are a few Crossfitters that also inspire me - if you’ve ever done a workout (or WOD) you’ll realise how crazy fit those guys are! One of my all-time idols is Kelly Holmes, she’s double Olympic Champion for the 800/1500m in 2004. She shows the true meaning of perseverance and determination.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Nail the basics and don’t be in a rush to stick the weight on the bar. Technique over tonnage when you’re just starting Weightlifting is key. Most importantly, have fun!

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

This year is all about the Commonwealth Games for me. I’ve been to two already and this time I want to achieve what I know I’m capable of.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Twitter; @emilygodley
Instagram; emilygbwl
Facebook; Emily Godley 

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................