Monday 5 March 2018

12 Questions with CrossFit Athlete and Elite Sailor Anna Tunnicliffe Tobias


1) Who is Anna Tunnicliffe Tobias? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am 35 years old and live in Avella, PA (just outside of Pittsburgh). I was born and raised in the Uk and moved to the USA when I was 12. My first sport was sailing. I went to two Olympic Games (2008, 2012) and won Gold in 2008. Since then I have gotten involve in CrossFit and I now own and run a gym, T2 CrossFit, with my Husband and coach Brad Tobias and my parents. my hobbies include,cooking, hanging with my hubby and dogs, sailing, archery (new hobby, so not that good yet), amongst other things.

2) How many years have you been training?

I found CF at the end of 2011, but was still training for the Olympics, so trained to et in better shape and stay healthy. once the Olympics were done, We started training harder with the goal of making the CF Games.  

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The hardest part is staying positive when things aren't going your way when you get an injury. During the 2014 Games I tore 90% of my plantar facia which took me out of running. It took a lot of my spirit with it, and was really hard mentally to try and over come it. Then this past year my other foot was extremely inflamed during the Games which took me out of running events which are usually something I really look forward to. Again, mentally it was really hard to push through and stay positive. Fortunately, Brad is great at keeping me positive and helping me focus on the things I can control and make me push as hard as i can sensibly.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

My days depend on my coaching schedule, but I try to break my workouts into two sessions. Strength and skill in one session and workouts and more skill in another session. I eat what feels like a lot...i love food..but i follow a paleo zone diet.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I have tried to learn more about nutrition. I love cooking so anything i can learn about how to keep healthy and the best possible options to fuel my body and then ideas i can share with my clients are what i want. I have learned a lot more about running a business too..the ins and outs of it, the little details that you seem to forget about and take for granted, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love my job as an athlete and as a coach and a business woman!

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

There is a particular cupcake I like to eat from Fresh Market when i'm allowed to...the Triple Chocolate Cupcake.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

My LuRong Living Essentials. I started taking the after I tore my foot in 2014, and I was back running 2 months before I was supposed to. Since then I take them daily to help recover quicker!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would start CrossFit much sooner in life. When I first started CrossFit, I couldn't back squat 150#. I wish I was stronger in my younger years and knew so much more about fitness. I can only imagine how much stronger I would be now, and how much easier my sailing would have been at a younger age.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to my coach Brad. He is very knowledgeable and has taught me so much about what we do, the body, and nutrition. I also look up to all the other athletes that are out there pushing the limits. It is so awesome to see people push back what is thought to be possible.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Dont rush the process and listen to your body. What is awesome about CrossFit is that you want to go back every day because you never get bored...BUT...you need to listen to your body. If you need rest, take rest. And trust the training process your coach lays out for you. Don't skip steps. There is a reason you are given the steps...trust it!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I have a couple goals for CF for this season depending on how Regionals go with my team, but the biggest upcoming goal will be Gold at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games in Sailing.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

IG and Twitter: @atunnicliffe
Facebook: Anna Tunnicliffe Tobias

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................