Friday 16 March 2018

12 Questions with CrossFit Athlete Brandon Luckett


1) Who is Brandon Luckett? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am from a small town outside of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, I went to school in the city from elementary through my undergraduate degree at LSU. I studied Physics in undergrad and am now pursuing a Master’s degree in Applied Physics in Medicine (a.k.a. Medical Physics) at UT Health of MD Anderson in Houston, Texas. I train at Allsport Crossfit. At the moment, I don’t do much else besides study and train, and that’s pretty much how I like it. When I do have free days, I like to get outside if the sun is out, but I’m not afraid to binge watch The Office all day either.

2) How many years have you been training?

I started Crossfit in 2013 after high school. I wrestled for 8 years before that, so most of my high school was basically Crossfit with less lifting. I would say I started taking Crossfit seriously 3 years ago in 2015.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Luckily I have stayed pretty much free of injuries in Crossfit aside from minor bumps and bruises. I believe that comes from listening to my body and trying to be smart about what I’m doing. The hardest thing for me has actually been building strength. I came in with very little lifting experience, and that has really been my biggest struggle. The only way to over come a weakness is to work on it. So for me, that meant lifting cycles during the off season.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I wake up at 5:45 during the week Mon/Tues/Wed/Fri and get to the gym for 6:15. I usually train for no more than an hour in the morning, and I will pick whatever portion of my training that takes the least amount of focus and warm-up, so it usually consists of aerobic interval type pieces. I go home, eat breakfast, and get to school for about 9:30. I stay at school until 3:00 and go to the gym for 3:30 or so and train until I’ve checked off every training piece for the day. From there, I’ll go home, eat dinner, and finish school work if I need to. Im usually in bed by 9:00 and asleep by 9:30.

Diet: Breakfast: 1 cup of Coffee with whole cream, about 1 cup oats, 1 tbsp grassfed butter, 1 tbsp peanut butter, two scoops of whey. Brunch: turkey sandwich Lunch: white rice, beets, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and a lean protein or salmon. Pre workout: 1 apple During workout I eat a banana and baby food pouches. Post workout: 1 scoop whey + 1 scoop carbohydrate supplement Dinner: white rice, beets, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and red meat. Before bed, I have the same bowl of oats as I had at breakfast.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

i) Sleep and diet are just as important as your training- maybe more so

ii) Training 7 days a week isn’t always the best idea. I take 2 days of recovery/ complete rest per week.

iii) I consider Crossfit to come second to family and school. Try not to sacrifice too much time with the ones/hobbies you love.

iv) Train with a partner, and focus on making each other better.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I have a serious sweet tooth. I love ice-cream, cookies, brownies, donuts... You name it.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Creatine

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would have focused on my diet and sleep more. I thought I could sleep 5-6 hours a night and get stronger. I thought I could eat whatever I wanted and it wouldn’t affect my conditioning/recovery.

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

My training partners: Alexis Johnson and Travis Williams. Alexis is a PHD student at Rice University and has somehow found a way to be one of the fittest women on the planet. Travis is the only person I know who doesn’t know how to quit. No matter how much pain he’s in.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Dedicate yourself to your goals, and surround yourself with people who are willing to go the distance with you. I don’t believe in “self-made men”.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

2018 Crossfit Games. But let’s not count our chickens before they hatch. I gotta qualify for regionals first. 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@blucket123


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................