Sunday 22 April 2018

12 Questions With Olympic Weightlifter/CrossFit Coach Bobbie Ross


1) Who is Bobbie Ross? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I was born and raised in Rochester, Kent in the United Kingdom. I'm an Olympic Weightlifter and this year became English Champ in the 63kg class. I've recently made the career leap after 7 years of 9-5 life in London, and am now a CrossFit coach and PT. Outside of work and training I am usually spending time with my family or out and about with friends. I love going for coffee and brunching is probably my fav hobbie!

2) How many years have you been training?

I started Gymnastics aged 5 and I had quite an intense 25hr week training routine from a young age, until aged 14 when I retired from gym and took a much needed break in search of a 'normal' life. It took me a really long time to find something again that kept my interest but in 2014 I started CrossFit at CrossFit Medway and instantly really enjoyed this new way of training. After being taught the basics of how to snatch and clean & jerk I switched to strictly Olympic Weightlifting at the start of 2016, competed in my first local competition and have been enjoying this crazy journey every since!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I've been very lucky and haven't suffered with any major injuries. I'd say the hardest thing can be training on your own, which happens sometimes now where I train inbetween coaching. It can be extremely hard to motivate yourself to get going especially when you know you've got hard training to do or a squat session sent from hell (coach!) .. but I just have to remind myself why I am doing it and focus on my goals. It is true what is said - those kind of sessions are the sessions that really make the difference!

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I train 5 days a week for approx 90 mins with a rest day mid-week and on a Sunday. Usually one of these days will be a power/speed day and the rest is focussed on the classic lifts with all of the extra strength work that comes with it. In terms of my diet i've got to admit i've never been that strict. I try to eat enough protein & carbs in the week and then on weekends I am very relaxed. I have never tracked what I eat but my goal this year is to take this a bit more seriously to really be able to fill out my weight class for better performance. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

The past 6-8 months have been a real learning curve for me and I have been dealt so many knowledge bombs since working with my new coach, Sam Dovey, and KBT Education. The most important thing i've learnt is how to train smart. I used to really struggle with knowing when i'm fatigued physically & mentally and working out when a little niggle or ache here and there becomes enough to take a step back or have an extra rest day. I think this comes from years as a gymnast, back then it was very strict and you just carried on through most things without question, tears n all! With Sam's help I now know what works for me and how to optimise recovery for the best performance. It's also really important for me to keep a balanced lifestyle. I absolutely love to train but i'd be lying if I said it was fun 100% of the time, so doing other things keeps me sane!

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

For me, treat meals often turn into a cheat day/weekend - oops! I love Asian food like chinese & thai. In terms of snacks that is easy - biscuits!! What is life without tea & biscuits?

7) one supplement that you could not live without?

I really recommend the joint formula GLC2000. It's been great for me and has sorted out some irritating pains I had. ZMA has been good also for recovery and sleep. I never really appreciated how important sleep was until I started weightlifting.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

I don't really think I would do anything differently. I've always worked hard and so however my physique looks is just a result of what's necessary to perform well in my sport, Weightlifting has made me feel and look strong, which I love. Of course I wish I had found the sport a long time ago, but I'm a believer in things happening in life at certain times for a reason.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I love Serena Williams. I admire her confidence, strength & determination. She is fierce and focussed and is an amazing role model. There are so many inspiring people to look up to in sport that motivate me.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

It is never too late to reach for new goals. It may take longer than others to get to where you want to be but enjoy your journey and take the time out to appreciate your own progress and be proud. Stay focussed & train hard!

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

At the moment my focus is on training hard to improve my competition total comp by comp throughout the year. I was lucky enough to get selected to represent Great Britain at The Europeans in March and that experience has left me more motivated than ever. My long term goal would be to make the next Commonwealth Games in 2022. The England lifters did an incredible job in Australia and i'm really inspired!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram: Bee_Rossx


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................