Friday 27 April 2018

12 Questions With Olympic Swimmer (Athlete entrepreneur) Caroline Burckle (Co-Founder of Rise Athletes)


1) Who is Caroline Burckle? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

Hey! I am Caro, 31 years old am from Louisville, Kentucky! By “title”, I am an athlete, entrepreneur, design/art school nerd, Olympic Bronze Medalist & World / Pan Am Champion, Co-Founder of RISE Athletes (an online mentoring platform between youth athletes and Olympians), Creator of Carococo (coconut oil + rosemary oil body oil for athletes/ active souls) with Lenka Tinka of Natura Culina, and am an athlete for STRIKE MVMNT. However, I don’t dig "titles" , so sans-“title", I am basically a human that wears a swimsuit and likes to design stuff. 

2) How many years have you been training?

I competed from age 10 to 24. I am a “retired professional athlete” now (haha), but still train 6x week (currently nursing a fractured heel injury)

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Surprisingly, the most challenging part for me came after I retired. Finding your identity outside of sport was insanely difficult, and something you do not really understand until about year 2 or 3 of being retired. And… injury recovery. It is such a practice of patience in your purpose, and trusting the process.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I love to workout first thing in the morning before the sun comes up. I lift weights, swim, do yoga, and run (not running right now). I love being outdoors too, so anything related to that is a blast. I eat mainly plant-based, I do not eat dairy. I still incorporate fish and eggs into my diet.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I have learned a lot about adrenals and female hormones. I taxed mine for many years, causing my body to go through a massive change when I retired hormonally and adrenally. I lost a lot of weight, had terrible night sweats, and began to lose muscle too rapidly. I have learned that lifting weights and keeping mass on my body that way actually helps trigger my hormones, interestingly enough! I have also tapped into the recovery field quite a bit. Learning heaps about taking rest days and time off than ever before.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream

7) one supplement that you could not live without? 

Vitamin D/B-12

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

I’d have trained my body to have correct posture in my hips, in between shoulder blades, and by way of footwork/feet stabilization.

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

Honestly, I just look up to people I personally connect with that have genuinely pure intentions. Doesn’t matter if it is a coach, instructor or a popular fitness mogul. I try not to idealize anyone too much.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

To just begin. You can plan forever (and it is good to have a framework) , but sometimes it is key to just start. You will pivot a million times, and not many things will go precisely as planned. Embrace the uncertainty.

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

We are building out RISE Athletes, and I have some design goals up my sleeve as soon as I get the courage to decide to ge thy ass kicked out there doing it ;)

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@caroburckle
@riseathletes
rise-athletes.com


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................