Thursday 6 February 2020

12 Questions With CrossFit Coach/Athlete Emily Hart

1) Who is Emily Hart? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m from Brentwood in Essex, and still live here now. I’m a full time hair stylist, I work freelance in Essex and also in The Errol Douglas hair salon in Knightsbridge, London.  I also coach a few classes every week at CrossFit 13. 

2) How many years have you been training? (Including how you got started, etc) 

I first heard about Crossfit watching a financial report whilst on holiday in Mexico ! Yes So random ! The first thing I did when I got home was look up my local box and signed myself up for foundations the following week. The rest is history, I was hooked straight away, that was almost 5 years ago now. Before Crossfit I’d been in the gym for about a year, and some road  running before that but until I was about 23/24 I don’t think I had done any physical activity! I was a chubsta. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I experienced my first injury in September 2018, and I’m only just starting to see real strengths and improvements now ! I strained a tendon in my shoulder, woke up the day after a snatch/rmu wod and I couldn’t bench, dip or do press ups any more, it hurt so much! I actually did my first ring dips in over a year this week !

I’m working on not giving myself a hard time if I don’t think I’ve achieved enough in the gym,  realising that I have a busy job and that after 12+ hours on my feet at work I might not smash it in the gym that night. Yes I have fitness goals for 2020 but my biggest goal is to have fun with my training. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? (With any particular protocols you rate).

I’ve counted my macros for around 4 years now. It suits me so much ! I have a freakishly big appetite and stops me from over eating or panicking about my man sized appetite and under eating lol. Most of my meals are eaten on the go, so the flexibility suits me so much. I try and hit the right amount of carbs and protein before and after I train, to give my body the chance to recover correctly. 

I train most evenings at CM2, they have a great training program, they work us on a huge range of movements,  the workouts can be brutal! I am following a gymnastics program too that I hit 3 times a week, I’m not great at gymnastics so have to work super hard to not be totally shit. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? (And How has it changed your focus for the future).

Over the last year I’d say I’ve massively realised the importance of hitting a gymnastics program weekly, it gives me focus and keeps me a lot stronger through my upper body and core.  I have a strong legs so I don’t need to worry about them as much luckily. Sleep ! Omg you can’t sleep enough, realising that with the amount of hours on my feet at work, then with the amount of training I try to hit, I need to sleep more, I’m not getting any younger! More sleep helps  my poor body recover. Over the last 6 months thanks to my friend and nutritional coach Dani’s advice, I’m really focusing on getting my macros as clean as I can when I can, and I’m feeling better for it ! 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

Ooooooh fooooood, i can’t pick one, I love a roast dinner! With extra Yorkshire puddings ! Also I don’t have it very often but I love a good pizza, the real deal though, Italian, thin crispy base all the toppings, definitely chuck some Parma ham on there please !!

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I don’t really take anything, so I would say protein powder, for it’s convenience! It’s a life saver when I’m running around ! Scitec peanut butter flavour is the one 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with both your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would focus a lot more on mobility and stretching. Something i didn’t value or  even probably understand at the start at all, I was too excited by everything else to dedicate time to that. Now i have mobility that no one is jealous of lol. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I find all the big name athletes truly amazing, They blow my mind! The teens to the masters, so many unreal talented athletes out there. But a shout out to the athletes out there smashing it, people who have busy jobs outside of the industry, like Carys Webster,  she is a doctor which is amazing in itself, and a great athlete, it’s really impressive 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Enjoy the process !  Rome wasn’t built in a day, listen to your coaches, listen to your body. Work on solid foundations, the rest will Come 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

2020..... finally man up and get that 100kg clean, I’ve been at 97.5kg for way to long ! Spend more time and effort Working on my mobility, Unfortunately I’ve come to realise It won’t work on itself!   Recently I’ve come to realise how important mindset is, keeping positive, making sure I’m going into the gym ready to work hard and have some fun, that’s my 60 minutes of the day, I’m going to make the most of them. Life’s too short ! Do what you love and love What you do 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

On da grammmmmm @Emilyhart88 

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................