Thursday 22 February 2018

12 Questions with Coach/Powerlifter Brett Gibbs


1) Who is Brett Gibbs? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

Born in Wellington, New Zealand which is where I currently live. I Coach & Compete in Powerlifting and have been doing so for a good 10years+ now. Outside the gym, I love to go spearfishing!

2) How many years have you been training?

12 years

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I would say the multiple occasions where I have had sub standard meets at any given IPF world championship. To date I have competed at 7 IPF worlds (including equipped) and have only had one good performance. This has been particularly hard for me as it is the comp that should have the most attention. As I write this I am around 4 months out from the 2018 IPF worlds and my plan is to really just go there and do what I can, control what I can do and let that play itself out. Often I got to focussed on what others were doing, listening to others and just talk my self out of each performance.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I squat and DL 2 times per week with 3 bench days. They vary, like any PL programming. My favourite squat / DL protocols involve heavy singles with multiple 5s around the 75% range. Bench, I tend to enjoy heavier 2s and 3s. My diet is all over the place, I wouldn’t say I fit a specified diet approach nor do I count calories. I eat what I want being conscious of body weight, performance and personal satisfaction.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

It’s always been the same for me. The need to be consistent and focussed in your approach to training. This past year has been particularly tough for me to really stick to that the way I have been for the years previous. Finding other hobbies and passions which take away from some of the things you need to keep pushing the boundaries in the gym. I coach people like this, how ever I never understood the thought process, that they would put training on the back burner at times. How ever, learning first hand, I’m learning how to deal with it in a way which doesn’t need to have negative impacts and in turn can relate better to people I talk to and associate with who also deal with that.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Chicken wings and white beer followed up with cheesecake.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I actually only use one supplement, Altius, a pre work out from Jacked Factory.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

Getting into coaching earlier on. It was around 6 years ago I first made the step towards coaching, however, I wish I had done it right out of school.

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

Mike T for his practical approach to training, one of the only coaches I can relate to when he shares his thoughts. John Paul Cauchi for his unreal passion towards powerlifting coaching.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Enjoy your training, have flexibility and do it for you. You never know if your buddies going to show up to the next session, so you’ve got to make sure your in the gym because you want to be there.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

Bring my best package to 2018 IPF worlds as it’ll likely be my last.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram, youtube and facebook. Search my name, you’ll be bound to find me.


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................