Friday 16 February 2018

12 Questions with Figure Competitor Rosie Tarbuck


1) Who is Rosie Tarbuck? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m firstly a doctor, three years qualified and starting GP training at the moment. I was born in Edinburgh, went to medical school in Newcastle where I competed at national level in long distance running and captained the cross country team. I currently live in Glasgow, and began bodybuilding in my last year of Uni after injury ended my running career. This is my third year competing with BNBF in figure as a natural athlete.

2) How many years have you been training?

I’ve trained all my life in various sports, including kick boxing, pole dancing, athletics and fell running, but I started weigh training about four years ago. My training has only become structured in the last three years, and in that time I’ve been coached both by myself and by coaches.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Last year, a period of illness made me withdraw from BNBF British finals which after 9 months on prep was a really hard decision to make; however this year I’m coming back stronger and a lot healthier! Balancing working as a doctor in Scotland’s busiest district general hospital is pretty tough too, but I like to think if I can do it then anyone can, it just takes a bit of organisation and a lot of coffee.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like? 

Currently, I train twice a day; heavy compound movements in the morning and lighter accessories at night plus any cardio I need to do. I rest at least once a week, and hit a minimum step count daily. Diet wise, my coach gives me a meal plan instead of macros as I tend to get caught up in numbers, with a couple of free meals in the week when I’m not on prep. A flexible approach means I don’t crave anything and to be honest it doesn’t really feel like dieting most of the time!

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

I’ve learned the benefit of correctly logging sessions, not just sets and reps but how they felt to perform. I also found that deloading works wonders, and has allowed me (fingers crossed) to get progressively stronger over the last year with no injuries. Gut health is another thing I’m careful with nowadays, and I make sure to manage my stress levels.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I’m not a huge fan of the term cheat meals but I absolutely love baking so probably homemade brownies!

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I don’t use a huge amount but I have found that glutamine has really helped my digestive issues this last year along with omega 3. Otherwise a decent whey isolate and creatine is pretty much all you need!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I would wait longer before competing and take my time. Muscle takes a long time to gain as a natural female and competing takes it toll on your body. Saying that I’m really happy with where I’m at just now, and have the support of a really fantastic coach who’s taught me a massive amount in the past 6 months.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to athletes who stand for health and athleticism alongside aesthetics as I think often we forget that training is firstly for enjoyment and health, not to look good in pants! Ben Mudge and Tom Wright both have fantastic content, Aj Morris and Jayne Lo; also my coach Tony Pang, who’s knowledge and patience, not to mention physique, are second to none. 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Find something you are passionate about and don’t let anyone else’s opinion stop you from pursuing that. Bodybuilding isn’t an easy sport to compete in, but it’s also more of a lifestyle which some people won’t always support you in. Surround yourself with those who do support you, and also be careful who you ask for advice as everyone will have an opinion!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I’m studying Mac nutrition at the moment , with a view to furthering my own knowledge and combining my work as a doctor with lifestyle medicine in the future. Competition wise, I’ll be on stage come June if all goes well with the goal of British finals this year! 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram
@rosie_tarbuck

contactable by email:
rosietarbuck1992@gmail.com


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................