Tuesday 16 January 2018

12 Questions with Figure Competitor Elaine Martinez


1) Who is Elaine Martinez? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc).

31 years old, from Eagle Pass texas, a small border town. I work as a medical Technologist , and am also a certified health science teacher. My life revolves around my crazy work schedule and my training. I don’t have much time to do anything other than work, train, eat and sleep, but I am on a mission to earn my IFBB pro card, so I am focused on that and don’t have time for distractions.

2) How many years have you been training?

I have been training for about 5-6 years but my training style has changed. When I first started off I wasn’t educated enough in the proper way to train, especially for the goals I had in mind. I would do hours and hours of cardio a day and noticed minimal results. Not until 3-4 years ago, when I increased my caloric intake and began lifting weight, did I start to see the changes I wanted to see.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Starting this “road to pro” journey alone got me through the most difficult thing I have ever faced in my life so no matter what challenges I face on this journey I know I will overcome them. The biggest obstacles since starting bodybuilding was joining a team and coach last year that only held me back, I didn’t feel any support or guidance, that along with the hefty price of registration fees, tanning prices, suit prices, travel and accommodations… all of it adds up and its usually a big burden.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I work out every day (unless my body is telling me it needs rest) my current week is divided into 3 lower body days, 2 upper body, and 2 cardio/core days… my training thanks to my coach is specific to me and the parts of my body we want to build.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

This year I’ve learned to listen to my body more and I’ve given myself more freedom in what I eat, you can get burned out from being on prep and training every day, so allowing myself to rest every once in a while, allowing myself to enjoy some foods I would have normally stayed away from… all of that has made a huge difference in how I train, how I feel about myself, and my overall attitudes.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

Anything sweet and pizza.

7) one supplement that you could not live without?

I find BCAA’s to be very important, more so than protein powders, pre-workouts… not particular to any brand, as long as it tastes good.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

I would have started lifting heavy from the get go. I was so focused on fat loss and doing cardio that I’m sure I sacrificed muscle mass. I think I could have been stronger and had a better shape if I had hit the weights right away.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

No one. Different athletes are inspiring especially if they over came obstacles, but I can never be or look like anyone else, and when I start to look up to someone I start to have skewed expectations from myself.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Pay attention to how you look and feel, not the scale and not what others are doing.

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

Earning my pro card and winning overall at the Arnold amateur.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

facebook: Elaine Katalina Martinez
Instagram : @kittypims

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................