Friday 29 December 2017

12 Questions with Kris McGrath


1) Who is Kris McGrath? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc) 

29 years old, born and raised in Banbridge N.Ireland. Having a long career working with learning difficulties, I’ve recently taken a different road and broke into the PT business as of late. Fitness and weight training has always been a passion of mine, and it wasn’t long before I made it my lifestyle. Training myself and my clients out of Elite Health and Fitness Lisburn, I believe I have the best team and facilities around me to keep progressing as a competitor and personal trainer. Learning from the likes of Pro NABBA bodybuilder @markgetty0 I certainly can’t go wrong.


2) How many years have you been training?

Always been in and around the gym since my early 20s but only really took it serious the past 5 years. Over this period, I’ve really focused on my training and Nutrition and tested my knowledge and mental strength in two shows to date.

3) What’s been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

This last show and its build up was an intense period and journey in itself. Having a strict diet and training regime, mix that with building a personal training business, Photography business, a 3rd job, and everything else life throws at you, I have no shame in saying it tested my strength within like never before. I felt like quitting many times, but with everything I had and the team of support around me it made the end result that much sweeter.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

At the minute I’m Weight training 5days per week, split muscle groups. Chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders/Traps, Legs/core ect… Although I’m never afraid to try a different workout or combination to change things up a bit. At the minute my diet and nutrition is based around my off season, so I’m definitely not calorie crunching at the minute, I just make sure I hit my protein target, and make up my remaining calories with pretty much whatever I want (within reason) I’ll keep these calories consistent and monitor my progress.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

My biggest lesson stems from my mistakes this season. I found I ran my offseason on too low a caloric intake, therefore when I began my diet process, and I began cutting calories week in week out, I soon found myself on a too low number, and only solution was to up my cardio. Plans for 2018 is prepare my body with a much higher caloric intake, getting used to running on much more food will boost my metabolism and training and give me much more room to play with come the dieting process!!

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Bacon + Cheese burger with sweet potatoe chips! J

7) one supplement that you could not live without?

Pre workout junkie

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

Train legs the way I do now!! I Think when starting out most guys including myself are quick to smash chest and biceps! Every muscle group deserves the same attention, and smashing legs is one BIG muscle!!  

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Truth is what inspired me the most to get serious into my training and especially competing wasn’t the biggest pro on Insta, nor the face of your top muscle magazine. I drew my inspiration from the “average joes” around me, from the guys who trained alongside me in our weight lifting club at home. @_joshcoyle if he didn’t know it before he does now. I had the privilege to watch and train alongside this guy, and witness him prepare for his first bodybuilding show. Josh of course smashed his prep and won!! When I watched his journey unfold, I thought… Flip, if he can do that… I can do that, and I began my own journey and never looked back.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Set a goal, and work your ass of…. Be patient and consistent and a good coach will make all the difference.

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

As well as building on my Personal Training Business, I definitely see myself competing again, hopefully later in 2018 or early 2019 depending on my progress.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram @krismcgrath_kpt feel free to drop me any fitness questions or Photoshoot enquires and I’ll get right back to you. 







LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................