Thursday 8 February 2018

12 Questions with Olympic Weightlifter Luca Michael


1) Who is Luca Michael? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc).

I am a 21 year old student Olympic weightlifter and powerlifter studying psychology full time at UCL. I love any form of strength training and my hobbies include going to see live music acts and fish keeping. I’m obsessed with fish.

2) How many years have you been training?

4 years. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome).

The most challenging part of my career has been the last few months. I was one of the final people to be rejected for the commonwealth games in Australia, after being ranked 7th in the rankings from my category. My focus now has been on improving my weaknesses and building myself up for other international selections this year and the next commonwealth games in 2022.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

My diet consists of high protein and carbs, and probably too much Ben and Jerry’s. I train 5 times a week, all sessions containing at least one of snatch or a clean and jerk variation, and pulls and squats 3 times a week.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

The main thing I’ve learnt is to be patient, trust the process and most importantly enjoy what you do. Noboy forced us into sport, we all do it because we love it, and that’s the most important thing to remember. Once you forget that, it becomes detrimental to motivation and mental health

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I can’t say no to a dominos pizza. Or a chow mien from the Chinese shop

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I don’t take any supplements.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I’m not sure I would change anything. Not because I haven’t made any mistakes, I’ve made a lot. But we learn best from our mistakes. If I had to choose something it would be to have a better understanding of nutrition.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I’ve always idolised the way russian lifters move, their technical precision and speed is incredible, but in terms of a motivational character, no one is better than Arnie.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Trust what your coaches say to you, everything they say has reasons behind it that you may not understand, but they have your best interests at heart. Also never stop enjoying what you do.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

2022 Commonwealth games qualification, Senior British records in powerlifting and weightlifting, and European u23 qualification (weightlifting)

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@lucamichael56 on instagram. Follow me.

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................