Sunday 11 February 2018

12 Questions with CrossFit Coach/Athlete Troy Davies


1) Who is Troy Davies? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am 26 years old and live in Ascot, England. I am currently a Senior Account Manager at a company based in Bracknell as well as a part-time CrossFit Level 1 trainer at CrossFit Ascot. My hobbies include CrossFit (obviously), yoga, family, friends, festivals, and holidays.

2) How many years have you been training?

I have always been sporty. I played football to a respectable standard in my teens, and then at the age of 16 I got into bodybuilding/ hypertrophy. I am a keen athlete and always enjoyed fitness such as circuits, swimming, running, boxing etc. With a brief stint in the Army, I focused more on endurance training, and then about a year ago I started CrossFit that incorporates a bit of everything!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I was diagnosed a coeliac (gluten intolerant) in 2015 whilst in the Army. It was a big challenge initially as I found it very difficult to find sufficient nutrition to support my training. Overtime I have educated myself and through trial and error learned what works for my body and what does not. Over the past couple of years, I have also struggled with flexibility and mobility. 

When I was younger, I never focused much attention on stretching and since starting CrossFit, I have identified that as a huge error. 2 years ago, I could not even perform an air squat! When training is such a big part of your life, mentally you are always challenged. I have learned the importance of mental focus and try hard to not let other situations in my life affect my training & lifestyle.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I am up early at 5am, grab a double espresso then head straight to the gym to train for roughly an hour (depending on programming). I have disciplined myself to spend a good 20 minutes focussing on mobility and stretching after working out.

I follow the RomWod program, which has increased my flexibility and mobility massively. After the session I have a post workout shake that consists of 2 scoops of protein, peanut butter, half a banana and almond milk. The rest of my meals are prepared by Macro Meals UK. They ensure that I get all the right macros for the remainder of my day (4 meals).

After 9-5 at work, I head back to the gym to finish the remainder of my programming that is usually another hour. I have a good stretch off, another shake, prep for the next day then bed.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I have been following JST Compete Programming this year and it has taught me so much! Everything from programming, techniques, accessory work, barbell tips and so much more! I have also recently competed in a couple of competitions. My coach (Danny Pyatt) and I came 3rd at a recent event that sparked a fire inside me. You learn a lot about yourself when you are under pressure. Not only how to cope with the physical exertion but also how to deal with it mentally for example when to stay relaxed and when it is time to go!

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Large bag of popcorn (sweat of course) & a big pack of galaxy counters.

7) one supplement that you could not live without? 

Zinc – it keeps my skin clear and stops me craving so much sugar (chocolate mmmm).

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

As I have eluded too, I was forced to educate myself on nutrition however if I was to start from scratch this would be my number one focus from the off. When I started out, I was obsessed with body composition, now I have learned to concentrate on eating for performance and composition will come- they really do go hand in hand.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

The JST team, who provide my programming, are awesome, the changes I am going through as an athlete are immense and it really proves that they know what they are doing!

As a CrossFitter I have to look up to Matt Fraser. The guys determination, grit and dedication is inspiring (and he seems like a funny dude).

Dwayne Johnson (the rock) because of his savage work rate. I like a lot of his posts and one stood out "always be the hardest worker in the room".

Lastly it would be my Team at CrossFit Ascot, they all inspire me on a daily basis through their hard work!

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Consistency is key, repeatedly put the effort in - even when you do not feel like it, you are making progress. 

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

It is my second time competing in The CrossFit Open so I would like to place a lot higher than last year. Then for the remainder of the year I am going to focus on my strength and Olympic lifting.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Instagram - troydavies11



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................