Wednesday 28 March 2018

12 Questions with Powerlifter Cryssa Dragon


1) Who is Cryssa Dragon? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am Cryssa Dragon. I work as an Emergency Responder/EMT and I am transitioning to be a Firefighter/Paramedic.I train 5-6 days a week and I live in the Bay Area California. Occasionally I like to escape to Disneyland or the Shooting Range with my husband and I am obsessed with my dog Jimi Hendrix.  

2) How many years have you been training?

I played sports and danced since I could walk. I was a dance major in college so most of my curriculum consisted of movement and exercise classes. I was a competitive dancer and was also auditioning for various shows and roles so I’ve always been active. I didn't start really hitting the barbell, Yoke, and weights until 2010 when I was getting ready for the Fire Academy.

3) What's been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (setbacks, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The most challenging part of my journey has definitely been finding a balance with training and my career. I work a minimum of 12 hour shifts and it’s very hard to find the mental strength to train after a long day on the field. But after I get it done, I feel a lot better and accomplished.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Since I have been powerlifting in gear (single and multi-ply) I have been training the Westside barbell method. I have some incorporated strongman, crossfit, olympic lifting, and bodybuilding just to make sure there is some functional movements. My diet usually consists of tracking my macronutrients since I am always on the go.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

I’ve taken a very big step into integrating mobility and recovery. My chiropractor Dr.Jordan Shallow has educated me on specific prescribed movements to increase more optimal movement and range of motion.  

6) What's your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

This is tough. I’m Filipino so my mom always treats me to home cooked food. My husband is Creole so every family event is like a Louisiana feast. I also love anything all you can eat; Dim sum, Korean bbq, Shabu, Sushi, American BBQ. I also grew up in North Beach San Francisco so that’s a devil in itself. I guess you can say I love food.

7) What's one supplement that you could not live without?

I love my BCAAs. My favorite is the Inspired Nutra Orchard Apple and I mix it with coconut water.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I was told by my Olympic Lifting Coach Jim Schmitz that the best form of recovery and supplement you can give yourself is sleep. I would go back and turn off the netflix marathon binges and try and get an REM cycle PR.

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to the companies and sponsors behind the athletes and events that are constantly giving back to the sport or who donate proceeds to charities and nonprofits.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Have a goal, have a plan, educate yourself as much as possible, and have a lot of fun. Dreaming is free, but the hustle is sold seperately.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

Training to break a world record, some unfinished business at the Olympia, and I will be joining the Tactical Fitness world very soon!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@cryssaboo

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................