Wednesday 31 January 2018

12 Questions with Marvin Gonzalez (Macro Coach)


1) Who is Marvin Gonzalez? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I was born in Viña del Mar, Chile. Our family moved to Canada when I was 4 years old. I currently live in Calgary with my wife Kass and our two beautiful daughters. We both run a successful online coaching business. With a main focus on lifestyle macro diets as well as workout plans. My niche market is more on the aesthetics and lifestyle bodybuilding side of things.

2) How many years have you been training?

13 and a half years!

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

In 2017 I was training and dieting for provincials. Nearing the last week of the competition I had gotten an injury in my hip that I didn't think much about. Until it landed me in the hospital the night after my competition. Turns out I had a hemorrhage that had turned into an infection that needed to be drained. The Drs said I would have normally been able to fight something like this off but because of the intense training and dieting my body was too weak and depleted to do so. I had 2 surgeries and spent 12 days in the hospital. I also had a vacuum pump hooked up to my hip for 5 weeks to ensure the infection wouldn't return. I didn't lift a single weight for 2 months. So needless to say my body became very deconditioned. On the bright side of things I was able to spend a lot more time with my wife and kids which made the recovery worth it!

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I currently do a lot more undulating periodization training these days ranging from power , strength, hypertrophy as well as metabolic training on any given day in which I'll train intuitively. All done as body part splits. As for my diet I do lifestyle macro dieting where I'll follow strict macros with unrestricted food choices.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

One thing I would say I've learned/perfected is how to water cut for competition shows! With new knowledge and implementation I've figured out how to get that real dry, grainy look

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I don't really have cheat meals as I follow flexible dieting. But if I had to pick my favorite food item it would be a glorious pub style burger!! mmm... 🍔

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Protein powder! It just makes life so simple! Such a great go to.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

Oh geez! I would've changed a few things from following proper macros and proper training from day one. Unfortunately that wasn't knowledge that I acquired until going to university. I also wouldn't have partied so much in my 20's as I didn't truly see optimal results until I stopped drinking.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I would have to say Ronnie Coleman! His photos never get old and they never seize to amaze me!! He left humanity behind and became half human, half silverback as Kevin Levrone would say. lol his physique will always be admired!

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

If you don't know what you're doing and you don't intend on going to school for it (not just take a weekend course but an actual post- secondary education) hire a professional coach. Do your research as unfortunately in this industry everyone is a coach nowadays! But hire someone with a proper education that can apply it and teach you the things you'll need to be successful.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

Well giving up my wbff pro card last year wasn't an easy decision! So I have high hopes to attain my ifbb pro card in 2018

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

www.themacrocoach.ca
@themacrocoach www.facebook.com/themacrocoach.ca

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................