Thursday 1 February 2018

12 Questions with Team Flex Athlete Monica Rubio


1) Who is Monica Rubio  (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I currently live in Edinburg, TX... AKA "THE RIO GRANDE VALLEY". I work as a full-time nurse M-F at an adult daycare center, I am also a fitness instructor, at Various Trufit Athletic clubs in the RGV. I also have a Fabulous daughter, she’s 7 and just getting started in competitive cheerleading. Of course, none of this (lifestyle) would be possible without the help of my Ride or Die Hubby Jacob Armendariz, who helps me out so much with running errands, picking up daughter, and most IMPORTANTLYT my #1 supporter.

2) How many years have you been training?

I’ve been working out for as long as I can remember, I was in ALL the sports threw out my JR high, and high school years, and remained active after that, so sport has always been a part of my life. I started bodybuilding going on three years now. My very first bikini body building competition was back on 11/2015, "a cut above the rest"… I was immediately HOOKED after the first show.

3) What’s been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (setbacks, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I was not good when I first started competing, I’ve been in last call out maybe 2 or more times. My GLUTES have always been an issue for me, they were TOO SMALL!!! Lol and still a work in progress, but they are growing...

I was not born with a naturally curvy figure, so it’s been a challeng for me OVER EATING and get trying to get these muscles to grow. I am VERY proud of how much my body has changed over these last 3 years, because, in the world of an old friend of mine “I am living proof that YOU CAN GROW A BOOTY”!!! LOL ...

As far as setbacks go, I mean, there is ALWAYS something chaotic going on, that’s LIFE. I always try to stay strong and look at the positive side of a situation, especially since I know my little one is always watching. <3

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Weeeeel, I work out every day, I teach 10 fitness classes a week, so I try to get the majority of my workouts done in class. I teach HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and TruGrit, which is an all weight lifting class.

In addition to my classes I get in my heavy lifting before or on my days off…. I love to work out with loop bands and resistance bands, I’m always looking for new exercises to try to keep my students entertained and keep our muscles guessing and GROWING.

I try to eat as healthy as I can, of course I’m only human…. But I usually start my day off with a mass gainer or protein shake, I like to add fruit, spinach, kale, and/or oatmeal in my shake so I can drink it on the go. I snack on fruits, almonds, yogurt, cottage cheese, and protein bars threw out my day. My lunch is usually left overs, because we ALWAYS cook in bulk.

My fav. Dinner… baked salmon, baked green beans, and sum sweet potatoes. When I’m on prep, my diet is not much different, I just make sure to bust out the scale so I’m eating/drinking the exact amt instructed to by my coach… I’m a simple eater, I prefer something that is quick and easy for me to make, over a fancy meal plan.

The AMAZZZING people from PUMP ADVANCED NUTRITION, in Edinburg. were kind enough provide me with meals throughout my last prep from Miami Nationals, that was a BIG HELP!!!

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I Learned that lifting weights is way more important than just doing a bunch of cardio!!!! I see people killing them self with cardio, spin class plus Zumba, then Stairmaster, it’s crazy that you can get much better results if you just lift heavy and eat GOOD.

I love teaching WOMEN the proper form and killer workouts they can try outside of class and be more confident in the weight rm.

I know it can sometimes be intimidating around all the men, but we BELONG in there too, so move over BOYS!!! 

6) What’s your favorite cheat/Treat meal?

Pizza Hut pan crust & Lemon pepper wings from wing stop are my go to CHEAT! 😻😻😻

7) one supplement that you could not live without?

My go to sup…. BCAAs, I think they are essential for my muscle repair and recovery, my fav brand “ALL DAY YOU MAY” 5% IN ICED TEA!!! I also have to mention MUSCLEEGG because is comes in so close to 2nd… I’m not big on supplements, but I learned that you must take care of our bodies as much as possible so we can stay active for as long as possible.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

I Would have started lifting heavier, sooner…. Again I wasn’t born with a naturally curvy body, but I don’t mind the extra work to get there. ;)

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

ELIZABETH YISRAEL is my fav body builder at this time. I love her look, I feel like we similar body proportions, so I look to her a lot for different poses. Also, she HAS the most amazing BODY but ive never seen her post overly sexy photos…. I have a lot of respect for her!!!

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

COME TO MY CLASS!!!! LOL… but for real, find something, anything you love and DO IT!!!! If your having trouble getting to the gym set a date with a gym partner or personal trainer that way your committed to go.

Fitness classes are also a great way to meet new people and get in shape while having fun at the same time…. Don’t be scared to ask for help, IF YOU don’t know how to use a machine…. it would be my pleasure to show you how to use it, I want the whole word to be in love with fitness JUST like I am!

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

I will compete again this year… still after that pro card!!!!! Continue growing my glutes lol I have A LOT OF other thoughts in my mind, because my brain does not have a shut off button. Let’s just say I hope you will be seeing a lot more of MONI this year and the years to come, I WILL BE ON THAT PRO STAGE ONE DAY!!!! ;)

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/monica.rubio.92 Instagram: Fittmoni
Snapchat: moni2rubi



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................