Wednesday 14 February 2018

12 Questions with Figure competitor & Personal Trainer Megan Faulkner


1) Who is Maggie Faulkner? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

My name is Maggie Faulkner and I am from the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania. I am a Figure competitor in the NPC. Since I began competing I have won my class three times, and just recently went to the National Championships in Miami and received 6th place. I work as a personal trainer, but in my free time I like to spend it with my family members, especially my niece and nephew. When I'm not training you can typically find my on my property, either landscaping, doing some home improvements, or just enjoying the outdoors. 

2) How many years have you been training?

I have been competing in figure competitions for about 3 years now, but I have always been very active with any sort of recreational sport, basketball primarily. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) 

There's been quite a few set backs that I've gone through on my journey. From being epileptic, struggling with addiction, and dealing with family issues. This process hasn't been easy, at all, but it's been amazing to go through. Three years ago I was probably at my worst. I dove head first into a relapse, was in complete denial, and thought I had control. It took a lot for me to get clean, keep off the opiates, and stay on track with my fitness journey. I have to give a lot of credit to my girlfriend and family members for sticking by me and supporting me through my struggle. What I learned from this is that I needed to surround myself with people that will lift me up, that are like-minded people. I had to remove a lot of "friends" from my life at that point in time; these friends were only bringing me down and wanted me to stay down.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I workout 6 days a week, usually after my morning client. Even though I am a personal trainer myself, my coach, Richard Seymour, writes up all of my workouts and meal plans for me. He writes them up specifically for my body type, weight, and for my weak areas that we are trying to focus on bringing up for my next competition. Since I have been working with him my body has evolved and grown leaps and bounds. I lift the weights, but he is the mastermind behind it all. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I've learned a TON this past year. I started working with my coach about 9 months ago and every single time I speak with that man I learn something new. He is like a walking, talking fitness encyclopedia. One of the most important lessons that I've learned from him so far, pertaining to training: you do not need an excess in carbs in order to grow your muscles.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 


Nothing beats a bone-in filet, maybe some Mac-n-cheese, and a chocolate lava cake for dessert. 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Does coffee count? 

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I wouldn't d*** around like I was in the beginning. Follow the plan, stay the course, trust your coach. This is what I've wanted and dreamed of for years, why do anything that would jeopardize that?

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

There's so many inspiring people in the fitness industry, I can't pick just one. When I first started competing I used to look at other pro figure girls and say "I want to look like her," but it's pretty hard finding someone with similar proportions to you if you measure out at 5'11". So most of the people that I do look up to, famous or not, have the kind of drive and motivation that I strive for. Seth Feroce, Dana Linn Bailey, Nam Thomas, Kai Greene, and my coach Richard Seymour are a few names that come to mind. 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Focus on form, not on the weight. Never ego lift!

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

I have two shows coming up this summer. The first show is in my hometown, The Pennsylvania State Championships, and the next is North American Championships where I will be going for my pro-card! 

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

Instagram: @mag_faulk


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................