Sunday 4 February 2018

12 Questions with Olympic Weightlifter Beth McKellar


1) Who is Beth McKellar? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m 20 from Livingston , scotland. I work as a gymnastics coach , and a acro dance teacher . I am an EX elite GB / Scottish gymnast. Now an Scottish Olympic weight lifter. My Favourite hobby is weight lifting of course 🏋️

2) How many years have you been training?

I started from the age of 8 as a gymnast, I did Artistic gymnastics until the age of 17 I was competing at elite level, I trialled for commonwealth games 2014 in Glasgow just missed out got the scores but they could only pick a certain amount of girls. I started Olympic Weight lifting about 3 years ago as a hobby and have never looked back.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I think bombing in one of the commonwealth qualifiers was hard last year . I worked so hard before the comp and then bombed at it. bombing made me feel weak and like all the hard work was a waist of my time. It took awhile but I came back better than ever Made the commonwealth championships team in Australia last summer and then went a won bronze at the comp.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Wouldn't say I have a typical workout or diet. My eating consists of trying to be fairly mindful about eating whole, real food (veggies, fruits, meat) and staying away from anything processed or sugar as much as possible. But I'm far from perfect and don't beat myself up if I enjoy the not so heathy things in life as well.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition? 

The more you beat yourself up for what you're "not doing correctly," the more stress you hold. More stress leads to increased weight, decreased results, and increased pain.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Fajitas ....

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I don’t take supplements, I just prefer to get everything from my food. one thing I do love to drink is Amino X which has vitamin D , Vitamin B6.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I wouldn’t have dropped weight class.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I don't have anyone specific that I look up to, I love watching everyone.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Don’t worry about what they’re doing, what they’re lifting,Just train hard and focus on yourself.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

My goal is to one day compete for Great Britain and get the GB singlet.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

Facebook sports page https://m.facebook.com/Beth.weightlifter
Instagram - mckellarbeth58


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................