Monday 5 February 2018

12 Questions with CrossFit Athlete Alexis Johnson


1) Who is Alexis Johnson? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I lived in Michigan for the first 21 years of my life, but have been in Houston Tx for the past 5 years. I am a math phd student at rice. Between that and training, I don't have much other free time, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

2) How many years have you been training?

I started crossfit in January of 2013.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

When training for the games in 2016, I developed tendonosis in both knees. It is something that I will have to manage for the rest of my career. But, through doing so, I have learned a lot. First and foremost, no matter how strong you are, an injury will prevent you from performing at 100%, and that is simply frustrating. 

A healthy body will always be stronger. I've learned to listen to my body, and avoid caving into peer pressure and doing more training pieces just because other people are. While there is a time that it is beneficial to grind through a piece, it must be appropriate, and not aggregate a nagging injury.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

My training sessions revolve around my school schedule, and I try to finish in one session. My body feels best this way, and it allows me to dedicate more time toward obtaining my degree. As a weaker athlete, I put more focus on my strength sessions, allowing proper time to recover, rather than doing additional metcons. I eat... a lot... and sushi as often as possible 😉.

I play around with counting my macros, but not obsessively (due to a history of an eating disorder). I just count every so often to be sure that I'm still on track.

5) What new knowledge have you learned over the this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

As for training, see above. I've learned to increase my carb intake, especially around the times that I train, and I cannot emphasize enough how much more energized I feel doing so. When it comes to my lifestyle, in the past few years I've learned the importance of balance. I have missed opportunities to spend time with family that I can never get back, and that is one of my biggest regrets. While training is extremely important to me, my family doesn't need to take a back seat so that I can do exactly what's on my program.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

DONUTS!!!! Handsdown. I'm also like classic fruity candy... like jelly beans and skittles.

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without? 

Real food and proper hydration>> all supps. But, I can't lie... nothing beats a nice cold fitaid right after a workout.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I struggled with an eating disorder for about 4 years (in between my gymnastics and careers). As much as I would love to go back and get those 4 years of my life back, it has shaped me into who I am today. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Not necessarily anyone in particular, but I am impressed by how athletes react in certain situations when faced with unforeseen challenges. For instance, Jen Smith finished out the games in 2016, with a consistent smile on her face, after rupturing her plantar facia, and Alethea Boon fought hard to qualify for the games just 8 months after tearing her Achilles the year before.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Set daily, monthly and yearly goals. Celebrate your successes and love every bit of your journey.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

To stay healthy and make the games in 2018 and to get my PhD in the next year or so!

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@mf_mathlete (instagram)



LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................