Saturday 27 January 2018

12 Questions with Lani Belcher (Olympic Athlete)


1) Who is Lani Belcher? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

Born in Australia to British parents. I was always very active as a child and did all kinds of sports until the age of 16 when I found my chosen sport of Kayaking. I represented Australia at junior and U23 level before moving to the UK when I was 18, representing Great Britain at Senior international level all the way to the Rio Olympics and becoming World Champion in Marathon Kayaking.


In the last year I have started to incorporate Calisthenics into my training and have been working closely with the School of Calisthenics as one of their assistant coaches and also to progress my skills. I have recently relocated to Doha in Qatar for a new adventure with my husband.

2) How many years have you been training?

I have been kayaking for 12 years however since being on the National Team my training obviously increased to 2/3 times a day 6 days a week.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Missing out on competing at the London 2012 Olympic Games has definitely been one of the hardest parts to my journey. As all athletes know a journey to success never goes in a straight line, however disheartening the lows can be these are part of what has shaped me to be the best I can be as an athlete and to eventually become a World Champion. I believe in never giving up and having no regrets. I do believe this is what has helped me to get through those hard times. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Sleep, eat, train repeat :) I have had a collection of training programs through out my years competing. However my most successful year was 2017.

A typical training day would consist of a session in the morning and also the afternoon. Either a paddling session and gym/run or 2 paddling sessions. I train 12 times a week. Averaging around 19 hours of training. Refueling in between sessions is key to maximize recovery and also maintaining or increasing muscle mass depending on the time of the season. I have struggled in the past to build muscle mass so a big emphasis on protein has been important. 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I have learnt more about having a balance in my lifestyle. Training is obviously my main focus however I think it’s extremely important to have something else be it a job, study or in my case planning my wedding :) I can’t emphasize enough to do what makes you happy and believe in yourself.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Nachos with the works on top and I also love chocolate 😊

7) one supplement that you could not live without?

I don’t think there is a supplement that I couldn’t live with out however I find it very difficult to hit my daily protein intake without the assistance of protein powder. I also take omega 3 capsules and probiotics. 

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why? 

Take more time to let my body build up its strength. When I started kayaking I was quite small and was expected to do weights that realistically were too heavy which then resulted in injury and illness. 

If I was to start from scratch I would use the correct training program for my physique. Not only is Power to weight ratio very important in kayaking technique plays a large part too. It is all about being able to transfer that strength off the water into your stroke on the water and in a very unstable boat too!

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

There isn’t one person in particular I look up to however I do find many athletes inspirational. Certain attributes that stand out for me in athletes are determination, perseverance, humbleness and focus. To me Jessica Ennis is a very special athlete. They way in which she handled the pressure of being the poster girl for London 2012 and winning the gold medal was very impressive.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Don’t Give up when times get tough and have no regrets. Be open to advice and help, take ownership of your plan.

11) What new goals are on the horizon?

To retain my world champion title in marathon kayaking. To be able to do the human flag and back lever. To start my own business.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

 Instagram: lani_amber 
Twitter: lanibelcher 
 Facebook: Lani Belcher

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................