Thursday 25 January 2018

12 Questions with Megan Bachelder


1) Who is Megan Bachelder? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I’m Megan Bachelder from Columbus, OH. I currently work for the University Relations team at Huntington National Bank and am finishing up my masters in Human Resources in spring of 2018. I spend most of my free time with my family at my nieces and nephews games (When not training).

2) How many years have you been training?

I have only been training for fitness competitions for the past two years, but was a thrower on my school track teams for 10 years competing all the way through my senior year of college. 

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

When I began training with my Coach Ryan Milton (Functional Flex Fitness), I had a dislocated shoulder. I remember it was June, and I wanted to compete in October which meant I had a challenge ahead. Ryan and I managed to work towards, and destroy, that goal.

Almost immediately after my first competition (where I placed 3rd, yay!), I dislocated my should again (boo). But was confident in scheduling a surgery to have it fixed because I knew how much work I could put in even while I was injured (under the watchful eye of Coach Ryan) as this was the same situation of how we started off.

Now I know there isn’t anything that can keep me from making progress.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Typically, I prep my M-F meals on Sunday and leave the weekend for macro dieting and my cheat meal(s). It’s nice to have routine but I don’t like feeling trapped, this is a balance that works well for me.

I generally workout after work, but before I go home. If I go home first I know I won’t get back up to go, so that has stopped being an option for me. I usually only workout 5 days a week so I can be flexible with weekend time or with traveling for work.

My coach (Ryan) will make adaptive workouts for me that use my body weight and resistance bands so if I will be traveling for an extended period of time I don’t have to miss out on any gains! 

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

During the prep period of my first competitions I counted macros and ate what fit and I wanted at that time rather that prepping my meals beforehand. This has given me the HUGE benefit of knowing the breakdowns of so many of the foods around me. Whether I’m at a gas station, the airport, or eating out, I can make decisions that won’t take me off target. 

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

My favorite cheat item is the Oreo blizzard with chocolate ice cream. But no cheat meal is complete without berry skittles. 

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

I only take a multivitamin and occasionally use quest nutrition baking protein powder. So there’s that secret.

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I know it sounds cliche, but I wouldn’t change anything. I am glad I have had the challenges, the successes, and everything that comes with them. My family, friends, and coach are proud of me. And that’s about all someone can hope for. 

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

I look up to every single person who is putting themselves out there and working out. It’s not easy for anyone. 

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

TAKE PROGRESS PICTURES!! You cannot appreciate where you were or where you are if you are not tracking it. No, the pictures will not always be what you want them to be. But I find just the act of taking my progress pictures helps motivate me more. Even in the off season I take them every week. 

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon? 

I will be competing in the Arnold amateur and the Cutler classic in March 2018! And then graduating with my masters in Human Resources in May! So many amazing things happening! insta: thethrowerbarbie

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)   

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................