Wednesday 5 July 2017

12 Questions with Eric Helms (3DMJ)


1) Who is Eric Helms? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I'm originally from Northern California, I'm a bodybuilding and powerlifting researcher, coach and information provider. My mission statement as a part of Team 3DMJ is to support the drug free lifting community and provide evidence based information to help people achieve their goals in strength and physique sport.


2) How many years have you been training?

Since 2004, 13 years.

3) Whats been the hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Learning to overcome injuries and maintain a positive outlook (focusing on what I can do vs what I cannot) was quite a challenge. Both with my hamstring tear in 09 and my recent hip surgery. But moreso, just finding a way to balance being a dedicated bodybuilder with being a loving husband, successful businessman, and friend is a continual challenge. Finding balance and keeping things in perspective has been key.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I train 4-6 days per week, typically benching every session, and also training back with 1-2 movements every session. I squat 2 times per week with a minimal amount of volume at the moment as I'm still rehabbing my hip, and I deadlift 2 times per week. I overheard press 2 times per week as well, and perform accessory leg work once per week. I train arms and calves nearly every session, and for most isolation work (curls, push downs, leg extension, hamstring curls and calf raise) I do blood flow restriction to minimise joint loading while still getting a hypertrophic stimulus. My repetitions and intensity of effort (RPE) undulate on a day to day basis within the week, and then within blocks of training (4-12 weeks) I follow an overall linear trend of increasing loads as repetitions decrease.  

5) What have you learned over the past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

How to better autoregulate my training so that I can effectively train in less than optimal circumstances; post Surgery, while traveling etc.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I don't really have cheat/treat meals as my diet is high enough in calories that I can more or less eat what I want when I want and still keep my daily macronutrient, fruit, vegetable and energy intake targets on point.

7) one supplement that you could not live without? 

Hahaha, good one. Trick question. Definition of a supplement is that it's not necessary.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

Pay more attention to movement quality to hopefully have reduced my injury risk.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

My fellow 3DMJ coaches Jeff Alberta, Andrea Valdez, Brad Loomis and Alberto Nunez for their passion to help people and their pragmatism. Bret Contreras, Alan Aragon, James Krieger, and Brad Schoenfeld for their enclyopedic knowledge and intellectual honesty. Lyle McDonald for his critical thinking skills. Greg Nuckols and Andy Morgan for their ability to reach broader markets while still producing top notch content. Finally, Mike Zourdos for his integrity.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Hard work will get you the furthest, however, intelligent hard work will make sure you have longevity and long term progress.

11) What new goals are on the horizon? (new goals, aims, etc)

I want to get on the pro stage in the next few years and as my hip rehab progresses I want to work towards a 700kg total.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

www.3dmusclejourney.com
www.muscleandstrengthpyramids.com
www.strongerbyscience.com/mass




LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................