Tuesday 23 January 2018

12 Questions with Yazmin Stevens (Weightlifter)


1) Who is Yazmin Stevens? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc) 

I am from Malta, I'm a weightlifter, I enjoy watching disney movies and going on adventures.

2) How many years have you been training?

I've always done a sport since I was very young, however I only found weightlifting about 2 years ago..and I started training weightlifting everyday soon after I started.

3) Whats been the most challenging/hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Its probably just being able to train full time without a steady financial income.

I decided when I started to put almost all my effort into my training, even though i had just graduated with a degree in Maths and Statistics. I decided that if I was going to do this, I was going to go all in or not at all...I wanted to try and break records, qualify for major championships and see where the journey takes me. 

Up until now I feel like I'm on the right track...and after all my degree will always be there. But, for now, it obviously makes things a bit tough. 

I’m getting some funding/help, with little money that I get also being dedicated entirely to my training which means I spend very little on myself personally.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I train for about 3-4 hours in the morning; starting with stretching, warm up, main workout, more stretching, and cool down. Then I'll have some lunch and rest before I do the same thing in the afternoon

5) What new knowledge have you learned over this past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I've really learnt to train to be strong and healthy, rather than workout to look a certain way.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Pancakes with nutella and anything chocolate! 😋

7) Whats one supplement that you could not live without?

Probably ZMA’s!!!

8) If you had to start your Journey from scratch with your health & physique what would you do differently and why?

I don’t think that I would change anything apart from maybe starting at a younger age, as I started when I was 22 which is obviously not the ideal age to start a new sport. If I had the chance I wish I found sport much much earlier.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Mattie Rogers... she's the first weightlifter that  I discovered on Instagram and probably the main reason that I started.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

This is especially for women “don't be scared to lift heavy...we are a lot stronger than people think we are”.

11) What new goals do you have on the horizon?

I just qualified for the commonwealth Games so the next main target is getting some comp PRs at that meet.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@yazmin.stevens on Instagram 
Yazmin Zammit Stevens on FB





LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................