Tuesday 5 September 2017

12 Questions with Martin Irvine (Martin Irvine Photography)


1) Who is Martin Irvine? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I am Martin Irvine of Martin Irvine Photography. I am gym based fitness and physique photographer from Belfast, Northern Ireland who likes to stay in shape himself

2) How many years have you been training?

I have been training for the last 10 years but it has only been since I got into Fitness Photography a few years ago that I have taken my own nutrition and training seriously. 

Being surrounded by incredible physiques gave me to drive to get in shape myself. Also getting to work with some of the best Personal trainers in the country has allowed me to pick up some very good knowledge over the last few years


3) Whats been the hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Balancing training with running my photography business. I completed my first photoshoot prep last year and was astonished by what I achieved in 12 weeks.

This year I prepped for another shoot allowing myself 12 weeks again but after a pretty healthy off season I was almost shoot ready in around half the time but still had six weeks until my shoot.

Maintaining a low bodyfat and a fully booked business schedule took its toll on me physically and mentally. Energy levels were very and even started to question if I was lean enough for shoot as I was seeing the same level of condition every day. Come the shoot I dont know if I was in good a shape as I could have been - peaked too early - but we live and learn. 

 4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

I train fasted first thing in the morning at around 5:30am with nothing but a cold coffee I make the night before. This allows me to keep my evenings free for work or valuable time with my family. 

During prep I would train everyday isolating one particular muscle group with some sort of arms at the end. Rotating Chest, Back, Shoulders, Legs. I normally complete compound exercises first and then move on to isolation movements targeting specific muscles. I tend to stick to a progressive overload style but like to throw in some strength phases from time to time. Diet, I keep simple during prep.

I have a protein target and a Calorie limit. Where I get the rest is up to me but as my Coach Phil Graham says "if i eat crap I will feel like crap". Essentially every calorie becomes a prisoner as my hungry grows, if it means switching red meat for chicken so I have more to eat so be it. But I am prone so using up my last calories at night with Cocopops. I do find carbs help me sleep. Off season it is pretty much the same but with more food. I tend to stick to 75% good food off season.

5) What have you learned over the past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

Consistency is key and form over ego. This year in particular I have learnt I need to listen to my body more, both in my training and my lifestyle, whether it be having a refeed when I am really low on energy or just allowing myself time to switch off from work.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal

 I tend to crave savoury over sweet. I love a good steak with some black pudding and a glass of red wine.

7) one supplement that you could not live without? 

Caffeine probably.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

Focus more on correct movements and nutrition.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Ben Pakulski's MI40 program changed my training from just moving weight to doing it with intention and in a controlled fashion. Since then my coach Phil Graham has been a massive influence on my training, diet and business. In a similar vein to Ben I love Mark Cole's work, his knowledge of bio-mechanics is outstanding. Recently I have had the pleasure of meeting and working with Mark and he is one of the nicest guys in the industry.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Take your time and get a good coach. A coach you can learn from and someone who has a passion to help people.

11) What new goals are on the horizon? (new goals, aims, etc)

I don't foresee any more preps in the near future. I will continue with my training in the form of clean bulks and then mini cuts to assess where I am. Mostly I intend to focus on my photography business. With social media having such a big impact on the fitness industry there is a lot more I want to do with my photography.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

You can find me on Instagram or facebook at @martinirvinephotography.





LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................