Wednesday 9 August 2017

12 Questions with Ben Coomber


1) Who is Ben Coomber? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

So I’m a performance nutritionist (BSc, CISSN), educator, speaker and writer. I first got into the fitness industry because I was obese, suffered with IBS, ADHD, asthma, and eczema and my journey to becoming fit and health was a profound one, and it inspired my to move into the fitness industry and inspire others.

I now have the UK’s #1 rated health and fitness podcast on iTunes ‘Ben Coomber Radio’ with regular Q&A’s and expert interviews. I run Body Type Nutrition, an online nutrition education and coaching company where I coach clients under my program Fat Loss for Life, and then educate trainers in the art and science of nutrition on the BTN Academy.

I also own Awesome Supplements, a BS free brand offering clarity in the confusing world of supplements. I spend a lot of my time doing the above, and travelling the world speaking as a nutrition and lifestyle educator.

After hours I play rugby, hit the gym, love to read, walk my dog, binge on Netflix, grab a beer with friends and do as much crazy stuff as possible like travel and do adrenaline adventures/activities.


2) How many years have you been training?

11 now, F**k I’m old haha. Seemed like a few years ago I started!! 

3) Whats been the hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

I tackle any problem head on, always have since I left school. So many people get held back by other people, what they think they can’t achieve, screw all that, I am a master of my own destiny so I get my head down, anything really can be done. I think the hardest thing for me was the weight loss. It wasn’t simple, there were a lot of knock backs, but luckily it was just a case of education, my mindset was there to achieve it, I simply no longer wanted to be the fat guy. I was following the wrong and advice and info, then when I kept searching for better answers I struck gold, lost 4 stone in 4 months, and now the rest is history, here we are today.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Diet is largely whole natural foods simply put together 90% of the time. The rest is beer and chips! I eat around 3-3800 calories a day based on my activity (I don’t track my macronutrient intake, just total calorie intake). Training is a mix of gym work (hypertrophy, strength, and conditioning) on top of my 2x per week rugby training and game on a Saturday. I actually wrote an up to date blog on my current training and diet, which you can read HERE. 

 5) What have you learned over the past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

Just keep it simple. Everyone is over complicating everything. Training, really, is simple, train for a goal or 2, don’t get caught up in other peoples goals or S**t you see on Instagram, and apply the basic science of training to achieve those goals. Nutrition, eat like an adult, provide for your health, keep it simple, keep it manageable, then cut yourself some slack when life gets busy. If you miss the gym for a week because work is mental or your child is ill, don’t stress, eat a little less, look after your mental well-being where you can, sleep as well as you can, and get to the gym again when life is in a good spot. Too many people are shooting for perfection. Well, life ain’t perfect.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

I don’t do cheat meals, my diet isn’t something I do temporarily, or out of hardship, or because my coach told me too, I eat well 90% of the time as I value my health, my body, and my mind, and want to be on this planet till I’m 150 kicking ass. For me ‘bad’ foods as some call it are just part of my daily lifestyle, if I want a beer, I’ll have one, I’m not cheating, it’s not a treat (I’m not a dog that’s been good and deserves a reward for his efforts) I have it in the balance of my overall diet which is very good and provides for my health.

7) one supplement that you could not live without?

Awesome Daily Dose, provides for everything your health needs, fish oil, vitamin D, magnesium, a multi-vit, all in 1 product, what else do you need for your health!? Health is the foundation for everything.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?

With the current movement of fitness and the availability of high quality coaching I would probably join a crossfit box. You can pay £50 odd a month and get classes, coaching, and get turned into a bad ass. I would probably do that for 2 years to learn about the body, movement and training, then Segway into some dedicated hypertrophy work to build some guns and wheels.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

Arnold Schwarzenegger, he sculpted his body, never gave up, did what he wanted when he wanted, made a career from his body in multiple disciplines, and he’s a hero and all round badass. His autobiography is class by the way.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be? 

Get rid of all the bulls**t. Be honest with yourself, what is it you want to achieve and WHY, what is it going to take to get there, who’s going to hold you back and get rid of them or distance yourself from them, what habits do you need to change and work to change them, what knowledge do you need and hunt that knowledge down in any spare hour you have, how much is it going to cost and what are your limitations (there are always cheaper alternatives, heck gym membership you can get for £12.95 now). Once all the BS goes, your honest, and willing to take action, great change can come very quickly.

11) What new goals are on the horizon? (new goals, aims, etc) 

For me, its simple.

1. Have the best online nutrition course in the world.
2. Have a supplement company that is respected for it’s mission and is in gyms all over the UK.
3. Be respected for my work and to change the lives of millions of people.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

Easy peasy, I’m ‘Ben Coomber’ ALL over the internet (thank god for no-one as cool with the same name eh). I’ve probably produced enough free content and knowledge to keep someone busy for a good year, so get stuck in people. My socials are:  FacebookTwitter  YouTube  and Instagram  For everything else visit www.bencoomber.com and for Body Type Nutrition and Awesome Supplements.





LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................