Born and raised in the state of Washington; I currently live in a Seattle suburb. I lived in Florida for a few years but have otherwise lived here for most of my life. I currently run a site called Weightology.net , where I have a monthly research review as well as offer online coaching. With two young kids it’s hard to pursue my hobbies anymore, but in the past it’s been day trading, kiteboarding and playing guitar/writing and recording music.
2) How many years have you been training?
3) Whats been the hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome) Injuries.
My biggest injury is something that still impacts me to this day; I had a bad lower back injury while doing front squats around 2007 or 2008. Since then it’s severely impacted my leg training. Most leg exercises cause me some type of back pain…not while I do the exercise, but rather pain over the next number of days. I’m to the point now where the only things I can do are hip thrusts and leg extensions.
4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?
Right now I’m on a 3-day per week whole body routine…usually one compound and one isolation movement per muscle group. I will sometimes use techniques like drop sets or rest-pause myo-reps to make training more efficient. I don’t do anything less than 8 reps per set anymore because of my age, and I’m not a powerlifter so there’s no reason to…it’s much easier on my joints that way. Diet varies depending on the goal; I’ve been wanting to do a photoshoot towards the end of August, so I’m currently dieting. I’ve been following a 12/12 time-restricted IF for that. High protein, moderate carb, low fat, flexible dieting approach.
5) What have you learned over the past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?
I love the research that’s come out on higher rep training for hypertrophy. It means that you can train with lighter weights, save your joints, and still put on size.
6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?
I don’t have cheat meals since I follow a flexible dieting approach. Can’t really say…there’s lots of things I like. I LOVE Thai food
7) one supplement that you could not live without?
8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why?
I would do less low rep training, and train with a higher frequency as it’s better for hypertrophy (I did a lot of low volume/lower rep HIT training early in my career, often only training each muscle group once per week)
9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?
I look up to many of my peers, including Alan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, Bret Contreras, and many others. We share similar interests in being evidence based, thinking critically, and spreading this information to the masses.
10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?
Pay attention to the people above that I mentioned.
11) What new goals are on the horizon? (new goals, aims, etc)
My main goal right now is to grow my business and increase my reach.
12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)
http://www.weightology.net …. All of my social media links can be found there as well